Windows Painted Shut

Old 01-24-03, 09:11 AM
Garden_Alley
Visiting Guest
Angry Windows Painted Shut

Could someone please help....we bought a house recently that was built in 1880 and can you believe that the previous owners painted all the Kitchen windows shut. My hubby tried to take a hammer and chisel to it but only started chipping away at the wooden window frame and recking it. How in the world are we supposed to get these things open without completely ruining the window frame itself????? They are really stuck, I think there is like 10 coats of thick glossy paint on them..... AARRRGGGHHHH!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-03, 10:31 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Use a thin clean putty knife to cut the paint and push between the window and the framing.
Good luck!
Mike

Old 01-24-03, 11:00 AM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
There is a tool with a triangular head and serated teeth called a window paint remover. Personally, I found a thin scraper like Mike suggests worked better without chewing up the wood.

Old 01-25-03, 02:35 AM
magister
Visiting Guest
Be prepared, though; My last house was built in '25 and it seemed that no matter what I did, I inevitably cracked most of the left panes in the upper left-hand corner. It must of had something to do with physics, because not only am I right-handed, but as I get older, I find that my left arm is getting more and more useless. So work diligently and maybe you won't end up replacing some panes, but if your hubby cracks a few, know that it could easily be par for the course.

And for the record, I used Mike's (OldGuy's) method, except I got it from my wife's 85 year-old grandfather who went to work painting textile mills when he was nine...

Old 01-25-03, 11:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garden_Alley,

I can believe that the wooden double hungs were painted shut. Out of all of them that I have replaced, probably 1,000 were painted shut.

My suggestion is that you replace the windows with some energy efficient vinyls. You can replace 4 of them in the amount of time that it takes you to free up the most willing sash in a wood frame window. Plus, you'll cut your heating and cooling costs by 30% or more.