window into door

Old 01-26-03, 07:33 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
window into door

i have a 2 yr old house with vinyl siding and vinyl clad windows. i want to take one window in my bedroom and turn it into a door leading to the hot tub just outside the bedroom. i know there is a header above the window (still building in the neighborhood) will it be sufficient for the door? what do i do first?

Old 01-26-03, 02:08 PM
Tn...Andy
Visiting Guest
If the window is a 36 or 32" wide one, and you have no electrical running thru the wall below. Also I would check to be sure you can get about 82" between the bottom of the header and the subfloor.......given those conditions, it would be a fairly pie job.

You would basically remove the window, take a sawsall to the rough sill (2x4 laid flat) under the window and cut it flush to the cripple studs under the header, keep running the saw blade down the drywall along the inside of the cripple stud to the floor ( remove any baseboard in advance . On the outside, I would take off the vinyl siding below the window and up to the top of it for now. Then cut the sheathing out on the outside like you did the drywall and cutout the shoe plate ( another flat 2x4 on at the bottom of the wall ). You should have a 34" wide or 38" wide opening at this point, and a 32 or 36" prehung door will slip right in. Apply new J channel to the sides of the door moulding on the exterior, and re-side. Case the inside and re-do the base up to the new casing. Install lockset and you're in buisness. About a 4 hour job IF you have the new door sitting there.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: