Installing a garden window questions

Old 03-25-03, 12:25 PM
forced347
Visiting Guest
Installing a garden window questions

I am replacing a new construction garden window with an Appleby window systems replacement window. The old window measured 72 X 42 X 10 and was aluminum construction (light duty). The new window is 71.5 X 41.5 X 24 and is 1.5" plywood constuction that is vinyl covered (very heavy duty). The new window weighs well over 250lbs. I realize we need to build a knee brace or some other structure to bear some of the load. Does anyone have links to pictures of nice knee braces or plans so we can start the planning of this project??? Any helpful hints would be appreciated.

Old 03-25-03, 05:06 PM
Tn...Andy
Visiting Guest
What type siding or masonary do you have on the outside around the window ?

Old 03-26-03, 05:30 AM
forced347
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by Tn...Andy
What type siding or masonary do you have on the outside around the window ?
The house has aluminum siding. The old window has a nail flange that we will cut off with a sawzall. The new window should slide in and we will install some brick molding.

Old 03-26-03, 06:44 AM
Tn...Andy
Visiting Guest
I don't know of any pic or whatnot on the net, but I've gone 2 routes on this.....and both are going to require some modification of your aluminum siding, which you may or may not be able to match since most of that has passed the way of horse and buggy.
But you're right, you definitely SHOULD doing some bracing.....that's a lot of weight to just hang on the screws you typically install these windows with....

1. You make a decorative "scroll" type brace in two or three places under the window....couple inches wide, 12 to 18" high and extends out under the window 12" or more....where is meets the siding is the problem.....you'll have to cut out a "slot" the width of the siding so the brace will sit on the sheathing, preferably right over a stud.

2. You box the whole deal in under the window, remove the siding straight down from the sides of the window about 2-3' so you can get a 45-60 degree angle, then build 2x4's from the wall out to the outer edge of the window bottom, insulate that area, sheath it and side the new "box" with something like solid vinyl soffit so you don't have to try to match the aluminum either in size or pattern.

That's about the only 2 ways I know of doing it, and it's a matter of which you like the best looks of I guess.....

"you can't see it from my house"

Old 03-27-03, 07:57 PM
IHI
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Another option to look at is hanging with a cable kit. All the bay,bow, and garden windows I sell have built in provisions for a 1/8" or 3/16" braided steel cable to go through the front portion of the window and have threaded ends that you place a washer and nut until the threads are flush with the nut. Then on the house you mount the cable anchors-they are heavy duty versions of what you'd find on a john boat that you weave your anchor rope in or tie the boat to the dock to. Anderson windows is the actual manufactuer of these cable kits I use for my Heartland windows. I then use a 2x under the window and a bottle jack to jack the window so it's just a little higher than level-pull the cable taunt and weave it through the anchors on the house, then go under the window and start turning the nuts until the slack in the cable is taken out, once it's taunt you lower the jack and the window should be almost level within a 1/16 to 1/8" for future cable stretch. This saves a ton of work since there is no under side knee braces to deal with weather it be decoritive or boxed. I rip 2x's to 2", screw them to the under side around the perimeter of the window, staple insulation under the seat board, then cover with 3/4" plywood. Once that's complete I cover the rest with aluminum to match the house/window. Might not be able to so this with your, just another option. The knee bracing kinda went out with big hair and parachute pants, the newer hanging systems offer a cleaner uncluttered look than was previously available in the older windows. I got 2 Home Depot millmork accounts in different cities and the first install of replacement windows I performed made me laugh as the windows they were selling were a design left long ago in the window industry-very ancient and crude to say the least, but they're still selling them because people are trying to save a buck, and I'll beat my last dollar they'll be replaced in the next 10 years anyways because of the low cost=low performance, longevity window.

Old 03-28-03, 04:17 AM
Tn...Andy
Visiting Guest
IHI,

Yes, the bay and bow windows I install also have the cable provision....( and they come with it....I don't have to go to Andersen to buy them.....)......but since a garden window has a "top" window that slopes at some angle back to the point it joins the wall ( and the head jamb that is part of the unit ), WHERE exactly would a cable even be attached ???? Never seen one on any factory unit I've installed. They are either small units that have a nailing flange and is also secured thru the jambs, or on larger units, there is some type of support built under the seat board.....

And over a bay/bow, you can either build a mini roof or extend a vertical panel up to the house soffit IF the window is not out beyond such existing soffit, so you have ways to hide the cables.......again, on a garden window unit, WHAT are you going to do ??? leave 'em sticking out like a suspension bridge ???

Please explain how you do this and pictures would be great
I love to learn .

Last edited by Tn...Andy; 03-28-03 at 07:46 AM.
Old 03-28-03, 04:59 AM
IHI
Your right-brain fart. I carry 2 types of garden windows and after going back to the photo album, the last one I installed was a box type, you could call it a box bay if you wanted, but the company sells these as a garden windows. The four sided models- left, middle, right, and top glass units all come with a nailing hem that is made to fit against the sheathing on all 3 sides. On the inside I use 16d finish nails all around the window so they drive thru to the studs, header, sill. Forced347 window is large for a garden type, but with my windows I still would not be afraid to let it hang with the attachement my windows come with. So in his case, the knee brace might be the only option, we both know it's very hard to give exacting advice either over the phone or the internet becasue of variables unknown to us and alot of times the well intending homeowner. But I will stick my foot in my mouth, because I was thinking of a different type garden window than his, my mistake.

Old 03-28-03, 07:44 AM
Tn...Andy
Visiting Guest
Hmmm.....You may have inserted your foot in your mouth, but I didn't ( although I certainly have in the past ), so you don't need to get huffy and fling names....ahahahaha Keep THAT up and Lefty will ban ya ! I think he has a list going on me too

And WHEN did they stop teaching the difference in contractions and the possesive case in school ??? I notice it is a common practice on the internet now to substitute "your" ( as in "your right, brain fart" ) for "you're", the contraction for "you are"........"your" being possesive, meaning something that belongs to "you". Guess I better stop, huh?....next you'll ( as in you will ) be calling me anally retentive ........ ........Opps....Too late, it's already on my resume under hobbies and other interests

Old 03-28-03, 07:49 AM
IHI
LOL, once I start typing on the internet, I rarely go back through and proof read, most people get the general idea. As far as getting huffy, I re-read and don't recall any name calling, flaming, or anything of that nature?

Old 03-28-03, 08:30 AM
Tn...Andy
Visiting Guest
My mistake......gosh, the very FIRST one I ever made.....at least in the last 3 minutes...ahahahahaha

I thought you were calling ME a brain fart......Now I see, You were having the neurological gas attack .......hmmm....maybe it's infectious.....ahiEEEEEEEEEEE.....

OK.....you've passing the ribbing test .......welcome to the nut house

andy

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: