turn window into a door

Old 04-03-03, 12:16 PM
nedm
Visiting Guest
turn window into a door

I have a large window overlooking the backyard. i want to turn it into a double french door. I have measured it and it appears that the width and height of the rough opening of the window are exactly the width and height of a stock pre hung door set that Home Depot carries. So I plan on removing the window, removing the bottom half of the wall and installing the door. In theory it sounds pretty easy, but somethign tells me it isn't. I do notice one problem. under the window there is an outlet. I was thinking of either moving it in one direction or another if I can, and if I can't removing it all together buy simply cutting off the box and capping the wires. But I don't know if the latter choice is legal or not. If I am going to move it, can I simply splice in some additional wire and move the box 12"

any tips or potential pitfalls I should look out for in this project over all?

Old 04-03-03, 04:32 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You will need to replace the jack studs in the wall to change to a door as well as cut the sole plate on the floor. Not a big deal.

You can move the outlet to the side where it originates and avoid cutting anything. If you abandon it, code usually requires that the wires be terminated in an accepted junction box, not just capped inside the wall. Adding wire to an existing run usually requires that the connection be made in an accepted junction box.

But there may be other wiring considerations. You are going to want an exterior light outside this door, maybe a door bell?

Hope this helps.

Old 04-03-03, 05:25 PM
nedm
Visiting Guest
That a good point Chris, I may want an exterior light. No door bell as the door opens to the backyard.

You mentioned the jack stud and sole plate. Can you fill me in on that procedure. I may already know to do it, but I am not familiar with the terminology so I can't say for sure.

With the outlet, I see what you are saying about shortening it from the side it is coming from. Can I just bend it back, or do I need to remove the outlet, cut the wire shorter and the rewire the outlet?

Old 04-03-03, 06:20 PM
Tn...Andy
Visiting Guest
If you do this to code, and really, common sense, you will put a light out there......as my local inspector says " people door has gotta have a people light "......

The stud you will have to replace is the first one to the left and right of the existing opening ( or probably 2 if the opening is over 4' wide) that will be under the header spaning your opening. With a window, these studs are usually "pieced" in above and below the sill ....when you remove the sill 2x4 ( the "rough sill ), there will be a "hole" in the cripple studs where the sill was.....hence you need a full length to go under header to support it.

Your electrical receptacle would be easy IF that's the last one on a run.....in fact, you could use that to run to a switch and the light you need. If it's NOT the last one, youre going to have to get a little creative in fishing wires to splice. Just take the outlet out know and see if there is one wire (cable actually) or two coming into the box. Do you have an unfinished area under this floor, like a crawl space or basement ? That will make wire fishing a lot easier.

Old 04-04-03, 09:39 AM
nedm
Visiting Guest
Andy,

Yeah, I see what you are saying. I figured I would have to replace those studs. I am not thinking it will be a difficult task.

My main concern is moving the outlet if it is not at the end of a run, but in the middle of one. I will have to run the wiring over the door and i am not certain I am up to that task. Any tips on doing this? Is there a good website I can check out with instructions?

Old 04-04-03, 05:33 PM
Tn...Andy
Visiting Guest
Well, like I said....cut the power to the receptacle and pull it out to see IF you have the last one on the run or in the middle....one wire or two (or more).

Then, like I asked......is there unfinished space under this floor ??

Answer those two questions and we'll go from there.

Old 04-07-03, 11:04 AM
nedm
Visiting Guest
Andy,

It is not the end of a run, but in the middle, And I have no crawl space under the floor. Over the ceiling I do, but my house is on a slab and I have no way to get under the floor.

With the eletrical, I think I have it figured out. I will punch a new hole in the wall to the right of my new door and put in a new box for the outlet. Then put in a junction box and add new wiring to run the line over the door. Problem solved...yes? My only concern is running the wire through the studs over the door to get to the other side. I was hoping not to destroy any more than I have to of the wall. My thoughts were that since the door I want is a perfect fit both height and width that I would only have to remove the bottom half of the wall below the window, replace the studs on the side and shim the prehung doors into place. But if I have to drill through or notch the upper studs to get the wire through I am thinking I will have to remove the interior drywall above the door and aside the door as well. Am I correct in thinking there is no way to avoid this?

Also, you mentioned in an earlier post how when I remove the sill, how I will have to replace the "pieced" in 2x4s that were above and below the sill so I have a solid stud aside my door. I am assuming that the exterior side of the wall is firmly attached to these studs? So by removing them I will be removing a section of the exterior finish to the right and to the left? I would really like to avoid this. Any thoughts on how?

Basically I am trying to put in this door with as little damage to the surrounding wall area as possible.

Thanks for all your help!

Old 04-07-03, 01:11 PM
nedm
Visiting Guest
Also, with the bottom plate 2x4 of the wall that the cripple studs under the sill are attached to....Do I need to remove a section of this plate or do I leave it in place? It seems the wall needs the plate for strength, but I don't want to have to step up to get out the door. If I do remove the bottom plate do I need to provide extra support to the bottom plate with L brackets or bolts of some sort or will it be fine as is?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: