Thermal aluminum Windows

Old 04-18-03, 08:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Thermal aluminum Windows

I need to replace my windows and a guy here in town who installs windows says he has installed Anderson windows in his own house that had to be replaced because of broken seals and they had other problems and now he installs Thermal Windows which are aluminum with the thermal break and he says that vinyl windows tested for strength in a wind tunnel folded and the aluminum is stronger and with the thermal break, they are better here in Oklahoma with the high winds. Everything I read here in this forum says that vinyl is best. I've got another guy who installs Alside and Simonton windows who is coming to do an estimate. Both of these guys are going to tell me that their windows are best. Who do I believe? The guy with the aluminum windows told my husband a story about how you should never get the vinyl-clad wood because water gets behind the vinyl and rots the wood so my husband thinks this guy knows everything and wants to get his windows. I don't believe everthing I hear so I have to question somebody who is not trying to sell something. Is vinyl always better?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-03, 07:31 PM
Tn...Andy
Visiting Guest
Aluminum is stronger than vinyl, but vinyl ain't THAT flimsy...the multiple chambering of the vinyl not only gives a better thermal performance, but adds strength.........and I've seen a LOT more seal failures on aluminum windows and doors than vinyl.....my personal theory is that aluminum moves a LOT with change in temperature and this movement causes the glass to shift and the seals to fail......that is totally my opinion and I can't point to any study, but I HAVE replaced a HECK of a lot of aluminum windows.

As for the "thermal break", it also ain't all it's cracked up to be....they put it on the frame, but not the sashes. And since aluminum has a GREAT ability to transfer heat/cold, if it's zero on the outside, it's dang near that on the inner surface of any aluminum that doesn't have the break. Flip one of their sashes out and look for a break.....not there ? don't buy it.....or look for them to ice up on the inside in winter.

I'm getting ready to replace some OLD Andersens in a house, and the lady works at a window manufacturer here in town that makes aluminum windows ( Tracco ), and she wants VINYL replacements.....that tell you anything ?

Old 04-19-03, 09:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I had a guy give me an estimate today for Alside windows and I noticed that there is shiny metal between the glass panels and I told him that I heard that butyl is better than metal and he said that everybody has a different opinion about that and then he told me about how they have a warranty on the seal and thats all I should be concerned about. He also said he charges 30 cents per united inch for Low E coating. Is that too high ? I have five 24"x 72" windows and two 36"x72" that are connected and he gave me an estimate of $3705. for LowE coated, single hung with argon. I think I will forgo the argon. The supplier that referred me to him also has the Simonton windows that I'm going to look at. This guy said he likes the Alside because they've been around longer than Simonton.