how difficult????

Old 04-23-03, 07:59 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
how difficult????

7 years ago when i bought my house i got vinyl replacement windows installed. i am now putting on a deck, and would like to put the soon to be removed 3 light casement window from the dining room into the place where there are 2 double hung windows in the den. the opening will have to be made a little bigger to accomidate this unit, but it will dramatically improve the light in this particularly dark room. what i need to know is how hard is this to do. assuming i dont need to move any elect or ducts is it as simple as cutting the opening bigger and framing around the opening for the 3 light unit?? is there anything else i should know about this. im an electrician, and have access to tools, so getting a sawzall etc and doing stuff like this is no problem, it will just be the first time attempting something like this. Thanks

Old 04-23-03, 04:11 PM
C
That's basically it.

Old 04-23-03, 07:03 PM
texdiyguy
Visiting Guest
It may not be quite that simple. If you are making the rough opening wider, you'll have to reconstruct the header. And if it's changing very much, it might have to be built with heavier material.

Old 04-23-03, 08:53 PM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Are the 2 current double hungs side-by-side, under one header? Is the 3 lite casement NARROWER than the combined width of the 2 double hungs?

If the answer to both of those questions is yes, you are looking at a fairly simple job.

If the answer to the first question is yes and the second question is no, then make it a simple job by buying a new (narrower) 3 lite casement. That will be cheaper and faster than reframing the wall.

If the answer to the first question is no, you will have to install a new header. Keeping the width as it is would be easier than widening the opening, but if you are that far into the wall, making the opening wider isn't THAT much more difficult.

Old 04-24-03, 06:14 AM
thanks guys for the responses.
the opening will need to be both wider and higher so it looks like the header will need to be reconstructed. thats what i figured, but wanted input from someone who knows. i suppose 2x10 on their side w/ 1/2 in plywood would be the way to go for the header???

Old 04-24-03, 05:18 PM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Fatkid66, if you can leave the existing header in place, and gain the extra height by lowering the sill, you will save yourself a lot of work. Of course, you will have to buy a new window to do that.

But if you really want to use the old window, then yes, you will need a new header, and have all of the work associated with getting it in the wall.

A double 2X10 with the 1/2" plywood fill will probably be OK, but how wide will the new opening be? Is there a second story above the wall where this window will be? This is the basic framing of the house. Has to meet local code requirements.

Old 04-25-03, 06:40 AM
yes there is a second story, maybe ill just get my buddy the carp. to help me w/ it !!! thanks for the help!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: