rough openings

Old 04-26-03, 08:43 AM
klarson8
Visiting Guest
rough openings

what is the rough opening for a 32" and a 36" wide door, standard height. Also what is the rough opening of a 7x8' garage door?

Thanks

Old 04-26-03, 08:57 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Generally, allow 1 inch for a rough opening.

Old 04-26-03, 07:57 PM
Tn...Andy
Visiting Guest
32" door.......34" x 82 -82 1/2" ....... depends on how you plan to finish the floor.....IF you KNOW you're going to use 3/4" hardwood floor or tile w/ 1/2" wonderboard, I'd jack the door up 1/2" to 3/4" so the door bottom doesn't get too close to the finish floor level.....you might want to put a throw rug or mat on the floor and if you set it right on the subfloor, you might run short of room....

36" door........38 x by same deal on height

Garage doors generally have a finished opening of the "called" size.......so the "rough" opening would depend on WHAT you plan to finish off the opening with.....Personally, I use treated 2x lumber and cover that with aluminum trim coil, so my "rough" opening actually is 8x7 ( always width x height on doors/windows)...if you're going to use a 1x to finish off the opening, then your framing would be 3/4" more all the way around. If you're using a roll up door, the opening can be a fuzz less and you're fine, since the door actually fits in the inside of the wall plane anyhow.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: