Stripping paint from trim

Old 04-28-03, 01:44 PM
armbruster
Visiting Guest
Stripping paint from trim

My home was built in 1925 and the wood frame of the windows is beautiful oak that has been painted ? times. I need to remove the paint and do not want to remove the trim since this will likely crack the plaster. I also am not in favor of using chemicals since the family would revolt. It was recommended to use a heat gun. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-28-03, 08:37 PM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
The chemical strippers will remove the lead paint without releasing lead fumes or dust through the house. You could also try orange peel type strippers, but they smell as bad as the chemcial strippers and require many times more applications.
The heat gun will release lead fumes, not get into tight areas, and can singe the wood (if not start a fire) if you are not very careful.

You may want to try a test area first. Many areas of a house in the 20's would be trimmed with paint grade oak. While it is superior to much of the finish grade material available today, there may be knots, filled checks and a random piece of trim from a different species that was handy.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: