replacing old Aluminum roll out windows

Old 05-14-03, 09:24 PM
Larry J5510
Visiting Guest
replacing old Aluminum roll out windows

The width is about 52" , and I've had two guys that sell and install vinyl windows. One is window world, he said they can put in their 6000 series, using one double hung window.

The other guy won't put in a single double hung that wide.

So the question, is there really a problem with a double hung that wide? It's a rental house, but I want something that works of course. Lots cheaper doinig that than two double windows of course. I just as soon stay away from a slider, thats just my opinion and no need to address that.

Window world appears to sell a lot of windows, but trying to really find out anything about them is about impossible it seems. The 6000 series is suppose to be very strong, thats why he claims he can use it. Plus the warrantly is the best, unless he disappears.. I get people saying they no longer built the windows in North Carolina, yet I can't find where they don't.

I'm going to check with some more and see what they say, but any information on a double hung that width would help.

Thanks

Old 05-14-03, 10:41 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
None of the suppliers that I get my windows from make a sgl. or dbl. hung wider than 48". They make the windows -- THEY have to warranty their product! They must know something about the limitations of vinyl.

Your options seem rather simple.

#1. Install 2 windows in this opening.

#2. Frame the opening down so that a 48" window will fit.

#3. Take your chances with Window World's 52" wide window.

#4. XO slider (but you don't want to go there, for whatever reasons.)

Old 05-15-03, 04:03 AM
Tn...Andy
Visiting Guest
Larry.

I've run into those windows, they are about 52" wide and about 48" tall......and used a single double hung.

Just make sure your replacement uses a constant force balance system, not the old sprial type, and that the balance system has the cam lock deal where you have to have the window tilted out at exactly 90 in order to lift the sash out, a few degrees either way and it won't come out ( which is what you want ) or the sashes are awful easy to come out of the shoe end went tilted for cleaning on a sash that wide.

I agree a double hung beats a slider.....they are tighter and the tilt for clean feature beats lifting out the sashes on the sliders....so I can understand the preference.

The Reynolds window I used to use would put a metal re-inforcement bar in their wide windows to stop any problems from the vinyl being flimsy on wide stuff. You might check the WindowWorld to see if they do that...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: