Only 15 year no stain double windows?????

Old 05-23-03, 10:12 AM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Only 15 year no stain double windows?????

Hi.

Im thinking about replacing the original single pane windows in my 70's home with new double pane vinyl, wood or aluminum framed windows before installing new vinyl siding.

A addition on the home already has double pane wood windows which are all stained inbetween the glass from the seals failing.

Iv just read a report stateing the average life of a double paned window only being 15 year!!! depending on the location. Whats with that?

I cant get replacement glass for my stained double panes, so Id have to guess that after my NEW double panes stain, I will have to replace them completely again.

Theres gotta be a better window system out there or being developed.

Any info or thoughts would be great!

Thanks

Mike Kolder

Old 05-23-03, 04:11 PM
Tn...Andy
Visiting Guest
You don't say the age of the windows in the addition, but when they first came out, a lot of wood windows had pretty sorry dual glazing....they usually CAN be replaced though.....

I don't know about 15 years......I've had a few seal failures in the thousands of windows I've installed over the years, but only a few. The units in my house are working on 20 years now and no failures......

And most vinyl windows are much easier to replace the glass if it does fail...and most have lifetime warranties on the glass.....

Old 05-23-03, 06:15 PM
Received 12 Upvotes on 11 Posts
Most vinyl replacement window manufacturers will only warranty the glass for 10 years against seal failure and some of those are prorated. Andersen and possibly others have a 20 year warranty. Some will offer "lifetime" (who's lifetime?) on the window excluding the glass. The technology is far better than it was 20 years ago and therefore seal failure rate is far better. The glass in your old windows should be able to be replaced.

Old 06-07-03, 11:15 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wenco windows (available at Menards there in Iowa) come with a lifetime warranty on the glass seal and are very reasonable priced. Downside (if you're looking for wood interior) is that they're only availabe fully vinyl clad.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: