window replacement

Old 05-30-03, 08:56 PM
iwolf
Visiting Guest
window replacement

The wood window in my tub/shower is rotting and I am considering replacing it. The problem is, I don't know if there is more rotting than just the window. It is a casement style window with sashes (original window from 1923, I'm guessing). The bottom of the window is only about 2.5 feet from the tub.The bathroom was remodeled before I moved in, so I have no idea why they didn't replace the window. Is it possible to merely replace what is rotting without removing the entire window frame? I've had too many 'ideas' from people as to how to solve this. Some people suggest placing a curtain over the window, but I don't think that will keep wood from rotting. I'm curious as to how much it would cost to replace it with a whole new frame/window versus tearing out what's rotten and replacing it with new wood. What do you suggest?

Old 05-31-03, 03:40 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I would replace the window with a vinyl window. Wood and moisture don't mix, and the wood is going to lose everytime. Placing a curtain over the window will only compound the problem -- it will trap moisture on the window frame and cause it to rot just that much faster.

How much the new window will costs depends on the size, the style, the brand, and where you get it. (Asking how much a new window costs is kinda like asking "How much does a new car cost?")

Measure the existing window, decide what style you want, then go shopping. If you think you might want a different size window (especially one that is shorter -- farther above the tub), now would be the time to make that change.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: