Replace door panels with glass

Old 05-31-03, 11:52 AM
Lyn McLaughlin
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Replace door panels with glass

I recently purchased 2 door panels 15"wide to use as a split bedroom door. They are the usual 6 panel door ( 3 in each panel). I want to replace the panels with glass. I thought I could just remove the small molding that looks like quarter round and the wood panel would come out. However, so far no amount of prying has gotten the quarter round off, just a lot of splinters! Were these panels made in a single piece? Should I take a jigsaw and cut everything out? then how do I attach the new glass?
Old 05-31-03, 03:28 PM
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Arlington, WA
Posts: 8,670
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
First, I would assume that these are solid core doors. If so, what you are calling a quarter round molding may actually be just a portion of the rails and stiles of the door that is routed or shaped onto the edge. It may not be removable.

I don't think the jigsaw is going to be the best way to remove the panels. It will leave such a rough edge (unless you're a WHOLE lot better with a jigsaw than I am), and trimming out the glass panels once you get them in will be difficult to impossible. A router or a tablesaw would probably be a better tool to try this with.

If this is a solid core door, it is a lot of pieces that were dowelled and glued together at the factory. The panels have a tapered edge and are fit into dados in the rails and stiles.

IMHO, you may be better off simply starting from scratch and building the doors you want.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: