Crooked Door!!!

Old 08-20-03, 02:09 PM
Huck344
Visiting Guest
Crooked Door!!!

I removed my front door to paint it over the weekend. After I re-installed it, the door hung crooked. It rubs the oposing jamb on the upper 18" of the door. The door hung fine before I removed it. I have removed and re-installed the door several times while tightening the upper hinge. However, nothing helps. The hinges are very old and a bit warped as well as painted over many times, so I figured I could replace them. There are three 4" hinges. However, the holes on the new hinges will not match up with the old hinges. The pattern on both the new and old hinges is the same, but the holes on the new hinges are set out about 1/4 inch on each side. I always thought that hinges were pretty uniform. So I have two questions.

1.) Can I fill the old screw holes with wood filler and re-drill for the new hinges?

2.) Is it possible to get the door plumb again with the old hinges. This isn't my favorite option.

Thanks for any help you have.

Old 08-20-03, 08:34 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
You can use the old hinges, or you can install new ones. If you opt for the new hinges, fill the holes (slivers of wood with wood glue on them and drive several of them into each hole with a hammer works well). Then drill the new holes as needed for the new hinges.

Not sure that is going to cure your problem though.

You will probably have to pop the casing and exterior trim off of the door jamb and reshim the jamb as needed to get the door to sit in the jamb like it should.

Old 08-20-03, 08:53 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
a few things to try:

1. clean out behind the upper hinge.....check to see if the hinge is seated properly in the mortise.

2. if the hinge is proud of the jam...chissel out behind it so the hinge is flush with the jam.....

3. remove the two screws tha are towards the hinge pin side of the hinge and use 3" screws in thier place.....(3" screws should catch the stud behind the jam and pull the jam and door...

4. look at the clearance above the door and determine by the spacing whether the door is is crooked or whether the added coats is binding a door which had minimum clearance before....
(this is new number 1)

5. plane the door

6. replace the hinges if they are bent.....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: