bow window questions

Old 09-01-03, 01:29 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
bow window questions

I have a bow window on the front of my house that measures 57"H x 114"W x 16"D (all measurements are approx) with 5 pains of glass. The middle pain was replaced with a double pain in which the gas has leaked out and since fogged over, the remaining 4 are single pain glass. With it facing South, in the summer it makes the living room extremely hot and in the winter there is quite a bit of cold air infiltration.
I have looked for one on line a number of times just to get an idea of how much a good energy efficient one would cost and cant find one. Would like at least the end windows if not all to be able to be opened (all are stationary now). Does anyone have an idea of how much I would be looking at spending???
Probably more that I would be able to spend right now, so any ideas on how to make the one that is there now more energy efficient??? Even the wood at the bottom and in between the pains needs to be repaired/re finished?!?
Any help would be appreciated!!!

Old 09-01-03, 04:56 PM
Tn...Andy
Visiting Guest
From the sounds of it, I'd probably replace the whole thing.

I used to build 'em in place, but have gotten away from that, but it really isn't that hard.

The trick in your case is getting a head and seat board for that 114" length. What I did was go get some 1by oak or maple board 10' long....glued them up to make the width I needed, then took them to a woodshop and ran them thru their planer. That would make up my inside head and seat board. Then I sandwiched a 1" layer of the dense blue foam board, then a layer of plywood on the outside ( it was pieced ), then covered the bottom with a run of vinyl coated aluminum. The tops I'd build a roof over after installed.

Then I cut my "bow" or "bay" angle or curve with a jig saw, measured to fit the opening. Once I had that, I'd order vinyl windows to fit the seat......I'd just lay out whatever number and size of them I wanted and order that. You can get a pc of flexible mullion called "umbrella mull" that will flex around any angle up to about 40 degrees......get one pc for each window to window contact. You can get a casement or double hung on each end to open, then use picture units in the center.

On assembly day, I jerk all the old window out right to the rough opening. Then mount the head and seat board assemblies to the wall framing......making sure the opening height matches what you order for window height. Shim the head/seats until you have that height. Then I start on one side with the first window.....screw it to the side of the framing and down thru the head board...I run a screw at an angle thru the edge of the window down into the seat, but not enough to poke out the bottom. Next window I screw to the first on that side, and thru the head and an angle down into the seat again. Keep on trucking around the curve and finish out. Then install your flex mullions. A bead of caulk around the inside and build a roof over the top and you're done.

Takes me about a full day to do one.

The windows would run about $800, the head and seat boards another $150-200. If I buy one that size already assembled, you're talking $1500-2000...... Then I charge about another $750 to install including the roof........

Like I said, I used to do it just to be more competitive......I could installed it cheaper than most folks could buy one......but now I figure if you really want one, you just have to pay the piper and I still make mine........

But if you do it yourself or even hire a decent carpenter, building it in place is the cheaper way to go.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: