Bi-fold Closet Doors

Old 09-19-03, 09:57 AM
*SCOUT*
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Bi-fold Closet Doors

Hi! I really hope someone can help me. We have just moved into a house which is almost 30 years old. All of the closet doors are aluminum bi-fold and are really ugly. We were going to replace them with wood bi-fold doors, but the doors are basically floor to ceiling and measure 90" tall. We cannot find wood bi-fold doors this height at any of our local home improvement stores. We can get them custom made, but they would be too expensive. We just wanted really basic, plain wood bi-fold doors. We were going to put molding on ourselves. (My DH says he can make the doors, but that would take FOREVER, trust me...) So I have two questions:

* Any ideas on how to inexpensively get wood bi-fold doors that are an unusual size?

* Any ideas on how to give the existing aluminum doors a facelift to make them look better?

THANKS SO MUCH for any help you can give me.

Old 09-19-03, 10:14 AM
Tn...Andy
Visiting Guest
Assuming the existing doors are standard widths ( like 3,4,5,6' ), it shouldn't be too hard to just close the opening down for a standard set.

You could either patch in a pc of drywall ( assuming you have drywall on the walls now) over a little "fake" header or you could put a decorative board up there to take up the approximate 8- 10" space that you need to come down.

OR you could just go to a local cabinet shop and have a set built......I built mine for my house using standard cabinet door cutters and 5/4 lumber.....made mine a bit fancy with raised oak panels, but the ones I built for my rent houses I just make with a flat oak plywood panel.....The hardware and tracks you can buy as a kit at most any Lowes or Home Depot kinda place if you need new hardware.

Old 09-19-03, 10:53 AM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
If the doors will be painted you could buy the tallest set you can find and attach more wood to the top and bottom.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: