Repair or replace worn/rotted sill

Old 11-16-03, 11:09 AM
diguglifam
Visiting Guest
Repair or replace worn/rotted sill

I am trying to find the best solution to a rotted and worn exterior door sill. The overhang outside is missing (at the deepest section) 1 1/2 inches all the way through and the damage is only on the right side (where you'd step to enter). The paint is almost all worn, and looks as if there was never any sealer used.

Inside: subfloor stops at/abuts the sill, and the existing vinyl tile is
level with the inside sill. (I removed the threshold to replace it
and now can see bare wood there.) Originally this room was a garage, and we honestly have no idea what may or may not be under the subfloor.

What is the best way to fix - repair or replace the wood?
Would a real beginner be able to do whatever you recommend?
Thanks for any advice!

Old 11-16-03, 02:52 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'd replace the door with a new pre-hung door. Remove & replace any thing in there that's rotted, rebuild rough opening as needed & install the new unit.

Honestly, it takes a fair carpenter to to properly hang a new door. May end up needing a saw-saw to cut out the old rotted sill without tearing up alot that doesn't need it. You're definitely gonna need a level, I'd recommend a cordless drill. Most all pre-hung door units have decent instructions, if you've got one good helper, and DO NOT open the door until the new sill is square & plumb, you can mostly likely make your way thru this.

On the other hand, if you can find a local handyman, you can most likely get this done for $75-$150 plus the cost of the new door. Your call. Good luck.

Old 11-29-03, 07:28 PM
ponycar570
Visiting Guest
doorsill replacement

Hey diguglifam - I have recently had the same problem with my backdoor (wooden) doorsill. If you haven't already seen it, I suggest you go to Home and garden tv's site; http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/remodeling/...390630,00.html This was the best info. I could find-and adresses the repair very well-including the kind of wood to use for exposed area. Having repaired many windowsills-also wood and very similar to doorsill configuration- I know this info. should work for, and without replacing the door. You may want to check the frame for rotting too, if it's wood. You will probably have to remove trim and /or facing boards from the outside anyway-to get the sill out. I replaced the bottom portions of these with new matching pieces that I butted up to old portoins (a little wood putty hides the seam-be sure to prime and topcoat the putty w/exter. paint) These boards should come off with a small prybar-they can be stubborn. New caulk and paint should finish it up. Good luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: