Stanley door problem

Old 12-18-03, 11:32 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stanley door problem

I installed a Stanley door in my kitchen 3 years ago. The door opens to the North. The mail man put a package between the door and the storm door. The wind caught the storm door and ripped out a chunk of wood around the shock absorber and door frame! The shock absorber still has the piece of door frame screwed to it.
Should Stanley replace the door? I installed it.
Changeling

Old 12-18-03, 01:02 PM
Tn...Andy
Visiting Guest
absolutely not.

Old 12-18-03, 05:33 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Stanley is NOT going to replace the door. (Will Ford replace your car if you drive it off of a cliff??)

If the bracket for the closer is still intact, and you have the chunk of wood that got ripped out, you might be able to glue the wood back in place, then install the bracket for the closer with longer (2-1/2") deck screws.

Old 12-19-03, 12:14 PM
C
Lefty, I'll give it a go with the glue. Do you think "Gorilla Glue " would be sufficient?
Changeling

Old 12-19-03, 03:33 PM
Tn...Andy
Visiting Guest
You could use wheat paste or epoxy.....all that is gonna happen is the next time, it will just take some more surrounding wood with it or not depending on the glue.

WHAT you need to do is put the long screws in like Lefty said that sink back into the stud behind the door....a 3/4" soft pine door jamb is not gonna hold 18 sqft of "sail" in a good wind...( and that's what a storm door IS when the wind catches it )

.....AND I'll add if you don't have the overhead "safety" chain on the door, you better add that too....or add a second closer mechanism.

Old 12-20-03, 11:14 AM
C
Ok, I hear you loud and clear. I am going to use the 2 1/2 inch dry wall screws and go into the studs.
I would also like to run this by you guys:
I have the safety chain at the top and the shock absorber at the bottom. How about if I add another shock absorber at the top? I have seen doors with one at the top and bottom. Wouldn't this lower the shock considerably?
If it happened once it can happen again, so I want to do it absolutely right!
Changeling

Old 12-20-03, 06:03 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Pretty sure that what you are calling a "shock absorber" is the closer. These close the door without slamming it. They are adjustable, so the need for having 2 of them is virtually non-existant.

Old 12-21-03, 11:10 AM
C
Lefty, i just thought that having one at the top and bottom would "add" some more stability in case of the wind getting it again.
Changeling

Old 12-23-03, 06:16 AM
S
I have 2 closers on my screen door and they hold/close it against all but the strongest wind.

Old 12-23-03, 12:23 PM
C
Schiejr,thanks for the reply. I emailed a factory and that is what they told me to do. So I intend to get another shock absorber this week and install when I can.
Changeling

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: