window screen fasteners

Old 01-23-04, 04:32 AM
Maffetwebtv
Visiting Guest
Smile window screen fasteners

My large window screen will not stay in the window frame when the wind blows. The screen fasteners that keep the screen in the window are too small and flimsy, and there are only 2 of them.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-04, 08:49 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
First, is this the screen that came with the window, or a replacement screen? (If it's a replacement, it may have been made too small.) Aluminum, wood, or vinyl window?

For aluminum and vinyl windows, there are several different ways that screens are held in the channels of the window frames. The 2 most common are the spring clips that are inserted in the corners of the screen frame, and the wire tensioners that are part of one side of the screen frame. The opposite side of the frame is then forced to remain in a channel in the window frame. (Of course, a casement window uses 4 small cam levers and the screen is mounted on the inside of the frame.) The key to the sscreen staying in the window frame is that the screen is slightly larger in one direction (side to side, or top to bottom) than the opening in the window frame, and one channel is deeper than the other. You put the spring side of the widow screen in the deeper channel and compress the tensioners so that the opposite side can be slipped into it's channel. When you release the pressure, the tensioners hold everything in place.

Old 01-23-04, 09:03 AM
Maffetwebtv
Visiting Guest
Lefty, Thanks for replying. It is the original aluminum screen. The clips should extend over the screen frame and grip the window frame but they don't. Can I put new fasteners on the frame. I have a drill. I went to a hardware store but he didn't have window screen fasteners. I live in rural central Florida with few busineses. I just moved here.I didn't know about the screen.Thanks for your help. Mary Anne

Old 01-26-04, 01:27 PM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
A detailed description might help since there are 100's of different screen clips available.

Old 01-26-04, 02:28 PM
Maffetwebtv
Visiting Guest
Johnam, I have seen many windows when I lived up north and now in Florida, but I have never seen a piece of junk like this clip. It has one screw which fastens it to the frame. the metal is very thin. It's a little over an inch long. There's a tiny piece of metal that would never hold the screen in the window. Usually there is a piece that goes over the screen, but this hardly reaches the screen.I need to install a new clip. The piece that is supposed to fit in the frame doesn't even grip the frame.I guess I will have to buy a new type of clip and attach it to the frame with a drill, but I haven't been able to find a clip to buy it.Thanks for answering. maffet@webtv.net

Old 01-26-04, 02:38 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mary Anne,

You'll probably have better luck shop for the screen clips that you need at a glass shop, rather than a hardware store. And you might have to get creative and make some sort of a retainer for this screen

Old 01-26-04, 02:44 PM
Maffetwebtv
Visiting Guest
THANKS lEFTY, i GUESS i'LL HAVE TO INVENT SOMETHING. tHE SCREEN IS IN GOOD SHAPE. Mary Anne