new pane in aluminum window

Old 03-13-04, 01:03 PM
AJ Jxn
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Question new pane in aluminum window

I am replacing a pane of glass in an aluminum window. Once I get all of the old (and I do mean OLD) glazing compound out, what should I use to secure the glass in the window. Of course, I know I will use glazing compound, but I can't use glazier points because the window frame is aluminum. In removing the broken pane, I found two pieces of wire that had been twisted and embedded in the glazing compound. Was this a "home made" remedy when the house was built or the windows were manufactured? Are such pieces available somewhere? If so, what the heck are they called?!
Old 03-13-04, 01:14 PM
johnam's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 1,869
Received 12 Upvotes on 11 Posts
The wire you found is actually a glazing clip used to hold the glass mechanically. What you can do is clean all the old glazing compound...apply a bead of the glass against the silicone and apply glazing compound. The silicone will hold the glass in the aluminum frame just as the old clip did.
Old 03-15-04, 04:11 PM
AJ Jxn
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

Thanks for the tip. Very helpful.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: