Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

can't close door since new carpet fitted by firm

Old 05-20-04, 06:06 AM
KismetVilla
Visiting Guest

I just had a firm install carpets for two of the bedrooms in my B&B. The carpet is fitted higher than the previous one so the firedoors don't close on the firedoor closing devices that I have installed. I believe this constitutes a fire hazard as the firedoor closing devices are now rendered useless. I know that the guy who comes to do the fire checks won't give me a fire certificate unless the firedoors close freely.

I can't shave off the bottom of the firedoors since I don't want to risk damaging their integrity.
Will the pile settle on its own?
Should the carpet installer have checked the gap under the door before commencing work?
Or is it just my problem?

Please somebody help.

Old 05-20-04, 06:33 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cutting doors is generally the end users responsability. I would suggest taking them to a door shop at a lumberyard to have them cut. I will copt this thread to the door section to see if their pros can offer any more.

Old 05-22-04, 04:25 PM
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
I agree that the carpet installer should have known before hand that the door would rub. Did he put padding under that section? If he removes it, it will drop the rug by at least 1/2". I assume that it's a metal door and if so, it's not something that anyone can cut.

Old 05-22-04, 08:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A UL rated fire door cannot be field modified by anyone. You may confirm that by talking to the Fire Martial.

I see two options: (1) have a new door fitted. (2) Replace a section of carpet & pad (if possbile).

Unfortunately it's your problem.

Old 05-23-04, 02:45 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Measure out from the hinge the width of the door plus a few inches. Pull up the carpet and cut out a square of the pad the size of measurement you took. Reseat the carpet.

I had to do this when I had new carpet installed a few years ago. Otherwise, the door will eventually wear down the carpet in front of the door.

If you don't want to do that, you can try adjusting the closers to see if you can get enough closing force to overcome the carpet.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: