Steel Casement Window - Replace Advice

Old 06-02-04, 11:34 AM
ivgid
Visiting Guest
Steel Casement Window - Replace Advice

I'm looking to replace a couple of steel casement windows on a 1927 Tudor style home. My wife wants them replaced for safety reasons for our boys. I know that there's some energy savings on new windows but I don't see that energy savings justify the cost.

In looking for at possible replacements that will give a similar outside appearance (divided light being one), I have found 2 possible suppliers -- Pella and Marvin. Both are pricey.

Before I proceed with these, I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts on these suppliers or if there are others that I should consider. Or, are there other less costly safety devices that I should consider?

Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Bob

Old 06-03-04, 12:02 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
A couple of things going on here.

First, if you only replace 2 of the windows in your home, your energy savings will be NOTHING!! (Or so little that it'll be the same as nothing.) If you are going for energy savings in a 1927 home, replace ALL the windows!

Marvin and Pella -- Those are GOING to be expensive windows!! (Porsche's and Ferrari's are expensive cars, too!!!) If the NAME is important to you, then go for it. But I can show you a window that has AT LEAST as good of warranty (and POSSIBLY BETTER!!), that will save you AT LEAST as much on energy -- possibly more -- and cost about 1/4 to 1/3 as much.

Old 06-03-04, 09:08 AM
ivgid
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply.

I'm only considering replacing 2 of the steel windows for safety reasons (boys bedroom). Not for the energy savings.

I wouldn't consider replacing all the windows in the home -- there are so many windows that the cost would be high, very high. I doubt that the energy savings would be enough (we live in a mild climate in SF bay area) to justify the cost.

One of the concerns in finding a window is the appearance from the outside. I'm trying to find new windows that will have a similar look from the street as the current steel casement windows. I want the home to maintain its current look.

I'm not set on the Marvin or Pella. If there's another manufacturer out there with a good product, then definitely let me know.

Thanks

Old 06-04-04, 06:37 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
ivgid,

The 2 mfgrs. I have in mind are Amerimax and Empire Pacific (EPI). You can find a contractor or source for either. (Amerimax has a plant in West Sac, and EPI has a plant in Sac.)

Warranties -- Either WILL fix a problem with one of their windows for as long as you own the house. (Those aren't just words -- I've seen them do it!!) They BOTH stand behind their product. Failure rate -- I've installed about 5,000 windows total from these 2 mfgrs. I know of about 6 or 8 that have ever had a problem. In every case, the mfgr. took care of it, period! The difference in their warranties is that EPI's ends as soon as you sell the house, and Amerimax will allow the warranty to be transfered to the next onwer ONE TIME.

Energy savings -- Most folks in the Bay Area have to run their HEATER until sometime after the 4th of July, and have to turn it back on before Labor Day. ;-) Yes, you are in a mild climate. (Do you even HAVE an A/C unit??) But Low-E or Low-E squared glass works year 'round. It simply blocks the transfer of heat to the cold side of the window. This is going to reduce your HEATING costs. And eliminating the drafts that occur around your windows will further reduce your heating costs -- the house is just going to feel more comfortable, therefore, you won't be cranking up the heater. Replacing ALL of the windows would probably knock about 15 to 20% off of your gas or electric bill -- whichever you are heating with. And check with PG&E or whoever is supplying the energy for your heat source -- there may be some rebates involved as well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: