Door Ideas for Older Home

Old 06-05-04, 10:03 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Door Ideas for Older Home

I need to replace the door on my early 1900's Folk Victorian home. The current door is circa 70's ugly. I've discovered that the previous door had a transom window above it (it's still there but had been covered over).

I'd like to find a replacement door (casing & all, not just the door) that fits the style of my old home, and I also want one with a transom. I'm not looking for anything elaborate... quite simple actually, and relatively inexpensive (i.e. it doesn't need to be mahogany or ornately detailed, hand crafted, etc.). I'm perfectly fine with a steel or fiberglass door... it'll be painted anyway.

Can any of you direct me to someplace (on the web or otherwise) where I might find something like I'm looking for? I've been to the 'standard' door companies/websites (Stanley, Pella, Jeld-Wen, Reliabilt) and I don't see anything that grabs me.

Thanks...

Brian

Old 06-06-04, 10:38 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If "Stanley, Pella, Jeld-Wen, Reliabilt" didn't grab you, then go to a local door shop or lumber yard and find something that does. That means you have to get out of the big box stores!!! There are probably a million different doors that are available -- Lowes will show you 6 and HD will show you those 6 and 3 more -- or is that vica versa???

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: