Replacing Sliding Door Rollers?

Old 06-15-04, 08:28 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Replacing Sliding Door Rollers?

The aluminum sliding door has been in place since the house was constructed in 1975. I have removed the door for inspection. There are two rollers. The side door cover, at the bottom, has a screw. Just below the screw is a hole. It appears the hole is for adjusting the rollers. But how do I replace the rollers? One of the roller adjustment screws is stripped letting that side of the door drag. It appears that I have to pull each side cover out a bit, then pull the bottom cover off in order to remove the roller assembly. Is this correct? Or is there an easier way? If the bottom cover must be removed, do the roller assemblies simply slide out? And, what is the process for reseating the bottom cover on to the glass?
Old 06-15-04, 10:28 PM
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Arlington, WA
Posts: 9,238
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post


There are almost as many different styles of rollers as there are sliding glass doors. Some simply slip into the channel of the door frame, others are held in place by the screw above the adjustment hole. (That screw holds the corner of the door frame together.) I would stand the door on one edge, remove the screw, try pinching the sides of the roller body together and see if it will slip out. Once it's out, you can determine if the screw had anything to do with keeping the roller in place. Take the old roller to a glass shop and buy a pair of rollers for the door. If the door is starting to drag, it is probably starting to tear up the aliminum guide in the threshold of the door frame as well. Buy a stainless steel 'snap cap' for that guide as well and install it before you put the door, with its new rollers, back in place.

Once you have the new rollers in place, adjust them as far into the frame as possible, slip the door back in its track, use the adjustment screws to lift it about 1/4" on both sides, THEN raise or lower the rollers as necessary so that the latch side of the door is parallel with the latch side of the frame.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: