Drafty Windows

Old 08-25-04, 10:21 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Drafty Windows

I will be replacing a number of windows this year but have very little knowledge as to what to look for. I know I want double glazed, low e and easy to clean both inside and out. One of the main problems is that when I stand in front of the window (in winter), you can feel a draft from the window frame. When having new windows installed will this fix the draft problem? Do they remove the window frame and perhaps beef up the insulation or is this something extra I need to ask for? Also, is one type of window better than the other, ie. slider vs double hung vs tilt etc.

Thanks
Susan from Canada

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-04, 12:15 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes they should remove the window frame and all.Beefing Insulation in your walls is extra, but when they install your new window and frame itself they should be caulking outside under the nail fin and using "spray foam insulation around the inside between the studs and window frame". To do this it also means removing the Sheetrock that cases your window ( unless it is trimmed out in wood already ) then trimming it out in wood or reinstalling Sheetrock.

Windows are not air proof, but some do have tighter seals than others.Sliders and single/double hung windows will leak more air than a casement window.
Is this window on the prevailing wind side? do you Need it to open? do you have another window in this room that will open? These are some of the questions you need to ask yourself. If it is a problem (pervailing wind ) side of the house, is a Fixed window in order here?