Leaky storm windows

Old 09-06-04, 12:32 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Leaky storm windows

I washed the windows one day and sprayed the storm windows with a hose and maybe half of them leaked (let water through to inbetween the windows). Also, on a muggy, cold morning a couple of them had fog on the outside of the windows (in between the window and storm window).

My question is, what is likely the cause and solution here? I know I have to go out and inspect, but I really don't know what to look for (besides noticable gaps) and I wouldn't know how to seal any gaps (some sort of stripping on the windows themselves and a caulk on the frames?).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-04, 05:32 PM
L
If washing the windows is causing this kinds of problems, it time to get rid of the windows and the storm windows and upgrade to so efficient windows. Check with your local utility. There may be rebates, or at least zero % loans available to help with the cost of doing this.

Old 09-06-04, 09:10 PM
B
All it is is a little moisture between the storm windows and the regular windows. I'm not going to waste money buying new windows when what I have is perfectly fine aside from some minor leakage around 5 of the storm windows. That's just insane. Hell, I had to spray them with a hose to get water in there anyway. Why spend thousands replacing something that could probably be fixed with a $5 tube of caulk and a couple bucks of rubber?

Old 09-07-04, 04:11 PM
Check the weatherstripping, sounds like you have a few areas that may be worn out. Storm windows are not %100 leak proof, they are just an extention of your house window and only there to help out the house window.

If your thinking the storm windows should never leak water or air, Lefty is right, time to invest and upgrade the windows, other wise, just check, the weatherstriping and or caulking around the sub frame

Old 09-07-04, 05:55 PM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
Besides what was already mentioned, make sure that the outer storm sash is in the up position and the inner sash is down. Look where the two sashes meet in the center. Better windows will have an interlock and less expensive ones will have nylon pile.

Old 09-07-04, 10:34 PM
B
Let me clear something up, I think there may be some misunderstanding. When I sprayed the windows they leaked enough to let a LOT of water in, enough to pool in the bottom. It was like I removed the storm windows altogether before I sprayed. Like I said, only a few did this.

Also, the current windows are airtight. I'm not going to replace heavy, solid wood windows (that are perfectly air/watertight, and flawless in operation) just because the storm windows leaked water. That's just loopy.

Anyway, I found the culprit (I should have looked before I posted). All of the rubber gaskets that held the windows in place are dry-rotted, hard, curling out away from the frame and have shrunk leaving a good two inch gap at the corners. I have no doubt in my mind that is my problem.

Old 09-08-04, 07:23 AM
Nope, No misunderstanding. It was what Johnam and I thought it was.
I didn't know anyone made "air tight" windows, I'd like to see these.

Glad you found the problem.