Storm door lever handle lifts up not down

Old 09-16-04, 04:34 AM
leemar
Visiting Guest
Storm door lever handle lifts up not down

People always tell me the door is locked, cause they try to open it the 'normal' way. I think that the handle was installed upside down?

It is a Larson door and to open it the handle must be raised completely vertically.

Can I fix this?

Old 09-16-04, 07:41 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
been a long time since I installed a storm door,( been doing only commercial glazing for the past 12 yrs ) but they are pretty easy to install and fix.maybe Johnam can correct me if I'm wrong.Hardware is done 2 ways, "Handed" ( meaning only works right or left ) and "universal" ( meaning both ways )

If you had a glass shop install the door I would just call them back to fix the problem ( making them do the job right ) if you installed it..... remove the 2 screws on the interior handle ( you should be able to to remove both inside and outside handles now ) if there is no lock on the handle itself install the outside handle on the inside ect, this should solve the problem. If there is a lock on the handle, there is a cam inside the latch style that needs to be reversed. If you look at it, it has a R and L on the face of it, indicating R or L handing, remove the hook piece , change it from R to L ( depending on what it was before ) and reinstall.

Hope this helps, let us know if it did or if you need more help

Old 09-17-04, 05:25 AM
leemar
Visiting Guest
The house came with the handle operating this way so I have no idea who installed it.

I am going to try to do it myself. The interior handle is not a lever and does have a lock, so the R/L marked 'cam' seems to be the ticket..
If there is a lock on the handle, there is a cam inside the latch style that needs to be reversed. If you look at it, it has a R and L on the face of it, indicating R or L handing, remove the hook piece , change it from R to L ( depending on what it was before ) and reinstall
What do you mean by: "hook piece" and what does the cam look like?

I would just hate to take it all apart and not know what the pieces are!

Thanks lots

Old 09-18-04, 05:05 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I went to your door web site to look at the PDF applications, and it doesn't show much, but I don't think it has that cam I was talking about.To fix your problem it could be as simple as reversing your hardware application or pushing a lever in the hardware ( latch assembly ) to make it go the other direction. My advice it to go to there web site and tell them your problem by e-mail. When you contact them there is a small fourm to fill out telling them what product you have ( door style and ID Number ).

I was hoping Johnam or lefty would jump in knowing they are in this line of work also. On your computer just type larson hit ctrl/enter and it will take you to there website.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: