Glass Block window?

Old 09-18-04, 02:42 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wink Glass Block window?

Hi,
I recently bought a 3 family home in Mass.The cellar foundation currently has the glass block windows,wich we Love!
The problem is one of the middle glass blocks is broken.What is the procedure for fixing a block in an existing window like this?

Also where can we get good info on replacing regular cellar windows with glass block like this?Thanks Charlie

Old 09-18-04, 05:10 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you do this, how do you satisfy the requirement for openable light and ventilation and egress?

Old 09-18-04, 08:42 PM
SalvageCzar
Visiting Guest
From my experiences dealing in new and used glass block at my ornamental and architectural salvage yards you must first know what size blocks you have ... they are either squares: 6X6, 8X8 or 12X12 inch, OR rectagulars: 4X8 or 6X8. You may even have a "glass block panel insert" which is a one piece unit. Knowing what size and type you have will make finding a replacement for your broken block easier.

From my experiences dismantling glass block walls and windows for recovery and resale I can tell you that there is very often a wire mesh or metal rod support in each or in every other horizontal mortar joint which makes removal without some breakage impossible. Since you already have a broken block you're one step ahead and can remove it safely with a hammer and eye protection. When you mix the new mortar remember that glass does not absorb moisture like regular bricks and you may need to use small spacers to maintain the joint until the mortar sets up.

It sounds like your home may be a vintage triple decker with an unoccupied basement. I do not know if you can legally replace any other of your basement windows with glass block ... actually I seriously doubt it, so I suggest that you check with your local building officer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: