Exterior Wood Door Warps in Winter

Old 09-18-04, 11:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Exterior Wood Door Warps in Winter

About 40 years ago, my father bought a hand carved wooden door in Spain and then built his house around it. It's a larger door measuring 1 x 2 meters. I think the wood is pine although I'm not sure.

About 5 years ago, my Mom had the door varnished to hide some of the scratches in it. The fellow used a marine varnish - Spar Varnish I think (my Mom still has the can if that would help). Since this was done the door warps quite badly in the winter. So much so that it becomes difficult to close the door. In fact, the deadbolt must be used to keep the door closed as the doorknob doesn't latch. In the summer the door returns to normal. I live in Toronto so it does get quite cold in the winter.

Is there anything that can be done to prevent this seasonal warping? In addition to the difficulty of closing the door, I'm concerned eventually the door will crack under this stress. The door is obviously of sentimental value to me so I'd like to make sure this doesn't happen.

Can anyone give me some advice?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-04, 05:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Door warps in winter

Seal top and bottom edges of door. Moisture is getting in through these surfaces. Sometimes seasonal adjustment of the catch on door frame is a solution. There is also a striker plate that has a stair-stepped inner piece that fits inside the hole in the door frame. As the latch strikes the plate it ratches up. Thus, it is self-adjusting and you don't have to adjust the catch every winter.