Vinyl windows with broken releases/clips

Old 10-14-04, 01:29 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vinyl windows with broken releases/clips

Hello, We purchased our house a few months ago and have noticed that the vinyl windows in our living room have broken clips on them. These are the clips that are released to make it possible to clean the outside of the windows from the inside. On the one window, both clips are broken, so the window doesn't stay in the track unless it's locked. Can someone give any guidance on how these broken clips/releases can be replaced?

I'm not sure who the manufacturer of the windows is. I don't see any markings on them that would say.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-04, 02:32 PM
That's tough. You'd have to find out who makes them to get replacement parts. Did you check the hardware for the lock? The inside frame should have some sort of number or something on it. Worst case take the sash out and take it to a home center where they order windows. See if it can be identified by someone there.

Do you have access to the previous owners? Ask them.

Old 10-14-04, 07:54 PM
H
Thanks for the tip Cobalt. I'll look at the locks to see if I can find anything. Also, maybe there are markings on the side of the removable sash.

Old 10-15-04, 12:48 PM
To find the company name on some windows you can look inside the glass. There is a metal "spacer" between the two panes of glass and the company name could be printed in there. On my windows it is in the top left hand corner. It is not easy to see, but for many window manufacturers it is the only place to find the company name, once all packaging has been removed.
Hope this helps.

Old 10-16-04, 04:38 PM
H
Thanks for the suggestion Beck. I did look on the glass itself for any markings, but I'll take another look to see if I overlooked anything.

Once I do find out the manufacturer of the windows, how would I go about replacing the clips/releases myself?

Old 10-17-04, 07:32 AM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
These are called tilt latches.....if they are mounted on the top of the rail with 2 screws (not internal) you will find that they are interchangable with many window manufacturer's. Take a sample to your local glass or window retailer.

Old 10-18-04, 04:00 PM
H
Thanks Johnnam! "Tilt Latches", now I know the correct terminology! I didn't know what I should call them.

They aren't mounted on top of the rail with two screws like you mentioned. The locks for the windows are this way. However the tilt latches are actually inside top part the sash and the release buttons are on top of the sash.

Would I be able to purchase these parts and replace it myself?

Old 10-19-04, 11:42 AM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
You should be able to purchase the parts and replace them yourself. As I said before, since they are internal, they must match exactly so take a sample with you.

Old 10-22-04, 09:29 PM
Tilt latches are relatively easy to remove and replace. Since they are already broken you can put a screwdriver in and hit it with a hammer towards the outside of the sash, the latch should pop out. Then the new one will slide in and snap into place, you shouldn't even need a tool for that part.
I'm a lucky person, I make vinyl windows for a living. SHEESH, the tilt latches I have replaced since making this career decision.