A sill adapter????

Old 11-19-04, 02:13 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 17
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A sill adapter????

My new vinyl windows have just come in and I'm ready to install them tomorrow (I hope). The instructions call for adding a "sill adapter" under the window to provide a solid surface to set the new window on. Is this something that I should have ordered with the windows or can I just cut a strip of solid wood to place under them?

Thank you,
Old 11-19-04, 03:50 PM
johnam's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 1,870
Received 12 Upvotes on 11 Posts
Old 11-19-04, 06:09 PM
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: plainfield, IL
Posts: 71
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Usually come with the window. A length of vinyl a little longer than the width of the window. It is either a piece shaped like a V,(sill angle) like the previous post's website indicates, or a flat piece with a barb on one side, which snaps into a grove at the bottom of the window. This flat piece(sill adapter) should have lines or groves to guide where you cut the width of this piece to cover the different degree slopes on your window sill. You would have to cut more off for a sill with less slope, where a sill with more slope would have a bigger gap and you would cut less material off the sill adapter. I might mention that before you put this sill adapter in place you should insulate under the window with a piece of fiberglass insulation. It seems like this is a step that is often overlooked. Good Luck with your project.
Old 11-20-04, 04:46 AM
glasman2's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: washington
Posts: 183
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You don't "have" to buy it if you don't have the funds. when you remove the parting bead from the existing window save it. 9 times out of 10 this parting bead fits perfect. You'll need to prime, paint, and slide it in at the exterior bottom, then caulk.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: