How to fix hollow core door?

Old 12-08-04, 12:20 PM
Chessie
Visiting Guest
Question How to fix hollow core door?

I have a hollow core door that is separating--how do I fix it? Thanking you in advance!

Old 12-08-04, 04:23 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Depends on what you mean by "seperating".

If the skin has pulled away from the frame, probably in a corner, you can use wood glue to reattach it. Clamp it for a couple of hours.

The same can be done for any other seperation or crack -- you just need the proper clamps.

Old 12-09-04, 09:53 AM
Hi
if the top skin is more and half way why bother to glue you can get new door for about 20 dollars

cheers

pgterk

Old 12-09-04, 01:22 PM
Chessie
Visiting Guest
Thanks guys!

At some point I would like to replace this door with a solid door--for now I just want to get it back together, because it hangs up on the door jamb when I open it--very annoying! It's no shame though, the door is at least forty years....

Do I just use regular C-clamps, or is there some other type of clamp I should know about? Sorry, I'm a dumb female--my husband isn't into this fixing stuff, but someone has to do it!

Old 12-09-04, 06:41 PM
L
Chessie,

You asked for directions -- so much for being "a dumb female"!! I won't touch the rest of your comments about the hubby! :-)

C-clamps will work just fine. So will any other style of clamp that will hold pressure on the glue joint.

Where is this door located? If it's an exterior door, I would repair it, I would replace it with a solid core door now. Choices of material are wood, steel, and fiberglass. Choices of STYLES is virtually endless.

If it's an interior door, there's really no reason to go to a solid door. Several different choices of STYLE that are common -- flush, six panel, colonial, ... just get one that will go along with the rest of the interior doors of your home.

PRE-HUNG, if at all possible. Hanging the first one will probably take most of the day -- plan on it. If you get it done in 5 or 6 hours, you'll have a couple of hours to enjoy a cup of coffee or a beer and admire your handy work while you gloat!!

Installing a slab in your existing jamb is a LOT more labor intensive. You'll have to measure and rout out the hinge mortises EXACTLY, and if you don't have a router, that's another $100 invested in the project. At that point, it's probably cheaper to go to a door shop or a lumber yard with a door shop and have them match the new door to the old.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: