Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Are Window Sill Pans Necessary in a Dry Climate?

Old 12-23-04, 08:38 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I've just bought some Jeld-Wen Caradco clad-wood windows and I notice that the installation instructions include a fairly elaborate sill pan arrangement. I live in Santa Fe, New Mexico and we have a pretty dry climate. Is the sill pan overkill?

Part of my reason for wanting to avoid the sill pan is that my windows have nailing fins, but I'll be installing them in a concrete block wall with a 2x4 buck frame. This particular combo is not covered by the Jeld-Wen docs and I'm not exactly sure how to adapt their sill pan instructions...

Cheers,

Sy

Old 12-24-04, 09:54 AM
if you have the nailing fins, you don't need the pan.

Old 12-25-04, 07:06 AM
H
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Not Necessarily So

Flashing is required around all windows and doors except where the nailing fin is described as 'self flashing', is at least 1 1/8" wide, and covers the exterior sheathing so as to prevent water infiltration.

Unless your window fins extend beyond the 2x window bucks and cover the seam between the masonry and the framing lumber, you will need to flash around the entire window in a code approved manner covering the nailing fins in the process.

It does not matter how 'dry' your climate is. Flashing is required at all times in all locations.

You should rely on your local building code for specific flashing instructions and not trust the generalized mounting instructions that is supplied by the window manufacturer.

As far as flashing goes, it is ALWAYS in one's best interest to flash even over 'self flashing' windows.

Old 12-25-04, 09:41 AM
he was asking about a sill pan, not flashing, Like a sill pan under a sloped DH window.A sill pan is used where no fins are applied on the bottom , to level and seal the bottom. Yes every window ( reguardless if it has fins ) needs to be flashed.

Old 12-26-04, 10:37 AM
S
Originally Posted by glasman2
he was asking about a sill pan, not flashing, Like a sill pan under a sloped DH window.A sill pan is used where no fins are applied on the bottom , to level and seal the bottom. Yes every window ( reguardless if it has fins ) needs to be flashed.
Exactly. I'm certainly going to be using flashing, but the additional sill pan arrangement described in Jeld-Wen's installation instructions (which is a thing that sits under the window to catch water that gets in to the rough opening and redirects it to the exterior) seemed like overkill in the New Mexico climate where the humidity is so low any moisture would probably evaporate very quickly. I think I'm going to do without it. It sounds like many people don't use them even in much more humid climates.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: