Skylight condensation

Old 12-31-04, 09:03 AM
mrsgoudge
Visiting Guest
Skylight condensation

We moved into a home and were delighted with the skylights. Now winter has hit and when it's very cold the water condenses on the skylight, freezes, and when it melts slides down the painted box and drips on the wood floor. (small drips). But the paint is bubbling. Any solutions?

Old 12-31-04, 09:54 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Skylites are tough, simply because they are located above the ceiling, and the shaft is the warmest part of the house. If you are keeping the house at 70 degrees (measured 3 to 4 feet off of the floor), it's probably close to 85 or 90 degrees at the top of the shafts.

The only way to cure the problem is to replace the skylites. But you have to shop carefully for the replacment units. They will probably have aluminum frames, but you want ones that are "thermally broken". If you look from the underside (inside the house), you'll see aluminum. And, when you look from the top you'll see more aluminum. But between thos 2 pieces of aluminum, there will be a hard rubber (or plastic) piece, so that there is no place where those 2 pieces of aluminum touch (and no metal connection between them). You also want lites that are AT LEAST two panes. Ones with 3 panes are even better, but it depends on the extremes of your outside climate if they are really worth the extra cost. I have 3 skylites in my house, and all are 2 pane units. Winter nites around here sometimes drop into the 20's, and occasionally into the teens. I have never (in the past 20 years) had a condensation problem.

Old 01-02-05, 06:26 PM
Received 12 Upvotes on 11 Posts
Lefty, I also have a condensation problem and would love to know the manufacturer and any optional glazing you have in your skylights. Thanks.

Old 01-02-05, 07:21 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I got my skylites about 20 years ago from a company in Sacramento CA called Tap Plastics. Don't know if they are even still in business.

Another possible cause of skylite condensation is air leakage where the skylite frame is joined to the curb (assuming that you lites are curb mounted). When I installed mine, I used 1/2" thick by 1" wide foam weatherstripping -- sticky on both sides -- and seated the lite frame firmly before adding the horizontal screws through the frame into the curb that keep the lite in place. Replaced it once about 8 or 9 years ago when I reroofed the house.

Old 01-03-05, 10:47 AM
Received 12 Upvotes on 11 Posts
I never heard of that name here on the East Coast. I have Insula-Dome and I have thought about adding rubber weatherstripping around the curb and now maybe I will since it worked for you. I really would like to change the skylights to a more efficient glass but will wait until the roof needs replacing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: