hanging a new door....

Old 01-03-05, 05:57 AM
DIYMenace
Visiting Guest
Question hanging a new door....

Just popped in to say hi!!.....newbie here.

A quickie for you peeps,in my few years of being a DIY'er i've never hung a door until now as i've just installed a new kitchen and we needed a new door,so i need some advise on "how to".

Thanks

Old 01-03-05, 06:23 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Greetings, can we assume that you are using a prehung door unit ? Make sure you purchase the door to open in the direction you need it to. The new door will have a sticker on the jamb telling you what your rough opening should be for installation. Make sure your rough opening studs are plumb and your header is level. Use shims and insulation between the studs and the door jamb. Also, don't forget to get a door with a jamb that will best suit your framing studs whether they be 2 x 4 or 2 x 6. It is a pretty strait forward DIY project. Hope this helped.
-Bob

Old 01-03-05, 11:46 AM
DIYMenace
Visiting Guest
Thanks bob53,
Just to say its a replacement door so the frame is already in place,my problem is that whilst the door is the right size,when offered up it doesn't sit true and some has to be cut away so how (if the flooring runs away) do you cut it to size.

Sorry for being a bit stupid but i've never hung a door b4 ...sad but true

Old 01-03-05, 12:59 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Welcome again to DIY Menace......If the door is solid wood door at the bottom there is some material you can cut away. I would do this by taking a compas with the pencil. I would put the metal point of the compas on the floor and the pencil side against the lower bottom of the door. I would carefully drag the compas along the profile of the floor and at the same time the pencil mark will equally transfer onto the door. This way when you make a cut across the door it will appear to be a uniform cut as if follows the profile of the floor. Of course the door needs to be removed from the hinges prior to cutting. Another possibility is to cut the bottom of both doors an equal amount the gives you ample floor clearance and then attach adjustable door sweeps to the bottoms. You can adjust the sweeps also to follow the profile of the floor somewhat. Hope it helps. Let me know.
-Bob

Old 01-03-05, 02:08 PM
DIYMenace
Visiting Guest
Ahha i c....makes sense now you put it like that,was wondering how to get the profile right,will give it a go sometime this week(hopefuly)as im back to work 2morrow.

Cheers

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: