Need to fix/ repair a door frame

Old 01-11-05, 04:15 PM
CameronSadler
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Need to fix/ repair a door frame

Ok my name is Cameron Sadler i am 16 years old as of last decmeber and know very little about house repair. i broke a door frame and my dad has told me i have to fix it. i got like 200-300 $ i dont know if i need a whole new frame or i can repair the one that i have. i slammed into a locked door and snapped the frame appart. the meatl casing around where the bar from the door goes flew off and the wood split in teo arround that area. how can i install a new frame or fix the one i have with the moeny i have? we have basic tools arounf the house like a hammer and measreing tape. please help me the sooner i fix this the sooner i can do anything every again...

Old 01-11-05, 08:48 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
cameron,
Is the door frame painted?
Is the door and frame in the interior of the house?

Old 01-12-05, 05:56 AM
CameronSadler
Visiting Guest
Its painted white
its intieror
i dont know if i can fix it or if i need a brand new one.
if i did try to reapir the one i had id need some super glueof soem thing.
i also htink im gonna need to repaint the wall

Old 01-12-05, 09:16 AM
R
CameronSadler,

If it only broke into 2 or 3 pieces, and if (this is extremely important) the pieces will fit back together perfectly, then you can glue it back together. Use yellow carpenter's glue such as Elmer's or Titebond. You will also have to be able to clamp the pieces together for a half-hour or so and wait 24 hours before you subject it to stress.

This all assumes that you will be able to restore the finish...painted or stained of course.

Good luck,

Old 01-12-05, 07:29 PM
S
cameron,
if the pieces are chipped or are slightly splintered, use gorrila glue which is sold at most hardware stores...follow the directions..The glue expands and fills the cracks up nicely which can then be sanded before priming and painting...If you work carefully you will be able to clamp the jam together by setting the clamps on the moldings which are attached to the door frame....Use 2 1/2" long screws to reattach the metal lock latch which came loose..The longer screws should reach a wood stud which the door frame is attached to...or glue some pieces of wood into the old holes of the door jam and use the smaller screws to reattach it..

Old 01-13-05, 04:12 AM
R
It's me again. StephenS has a great idea with the Gorilla glue. That's a brand name of a polyurethane glue. It is bit more expensive than the other brands, but I think it is the best of breed.

It fills cracks nicely, is waterproof, and is very strong. One difference in the installation process is that you will apply the glue to only one side and dampen the other with water.

Warning. The stuff can be a little messy and is very tenacious when cleaning up. Wear disposable gloves. If you get it on your hands, it'll be there for a week.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: