Storm Door Install

Old 01-16-05, 08:32 PM
Roberto S.
Visiting Guest
Storm Door Install

I have a newer home with a front door jamb to jamb opening of 35". Will most brands of 36" storm doors fit the opening ?? How difficult is the installation of a storm door ?? TIA for all responses.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-05, 09:29 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Roberto S.,

A 36" door will work just fine. When you buy the door, step into the tool section of the store and get the security bolt installation and extraction tool. It'll save you a bunch of time and headache.

Old 01-17-05, 06:58 AM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
I don't think you will be able to install a 36" storm door (actual door size 35 1/2") into a 35" opening. If your measurement is correct you'll need a custom size door (34 1/2"). If you get the door pre-hung, the installation is not difficult.

Old 01-17-05, 07:17 PM
Roberto S.
Visiting Guest
Stormdoor Install

Appreciate the responses, but I'm still a little leery about the 35" opening and the 36" door. A couple of people around here have said "that's the way they're built, and like Lefty, say the door will fit without a hitch. Others go the other way. Will I have to pull off the door trim and put in brick moulding ?? How do I know if the main door opening is "storm door ready" ?? Thanks, again.

Old 01-17-05, 07:26 PM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
Check this site for typical "how to measure & install":http://www.larsondoors.com/questions/measuring.shtml

Old 01-18-05, 05:41 PM
Roberto S.
Visiting Guest
Storm Door Install

johnam - Thanks for the link. I was measuring in the wrong place. Rather than measuring the distance between the trim pieces (where the storm door would sit) I was measuring the distance between the sides of the main door frame. The opening is exactly 36" and the height is 80 1/2. Larson is the brand of door I'm getting. Anyway, their site says a 1" x 1" deep trim piece for mounting the door. My trim is only 1/2". Should I replace it with brick moulding ?? I really appreciate your help in this matter.

Old 02-17-05, 04:33 PM
Spend a few extra bucks (20-60) and get the Pella doors.I see your shopping at Lowes.Larson doors dont open quite as far as the Pella's.The hindges are the breaking point on the Larsons.Use brickmold, you need that inch depth so the zbars sit flat.

Old 02-17-05, 09:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 714 Votes on 661 Posts
Originally Posted by Roberto S.
My trim is only 1/2". Should I replace it with brick moulding ??
Your trim is only 1/2" thick? How unusual.

Most exterior doors already have brickmould on them. It would be very unusual if yours did not. In any event, the door needs brickmould. The storm door z-bar screws into the face of the brickmould, and needs to go back 1" toward the door- thus brickmould works perfectly. It will fit up nicely right against the 1/2" reveal around your door. (The area that is 35", which you measured earlier.)

Your height of 80 1/2" is fine.

The sweep on your storm door must close on top of your aluminum threshold. If for some reason, the face of your brickmould is already built out past the front of the door's aluminum threshold by more than 1/2", you will need to locate and install an aluminum threshold extension. On most doors, it just clips into a groove on your current threshold. Unless something is weird, you won't have to worry about this last thing.

Old 02-18-05, 07:45 AM
If you have a door that has side-lites (windows beside your door) a lot of them dont have the brickmold iinstalled.I dont know why, the threshold is wide enough for the "absent" brickmold.I see this in a lot of new neighborhoods.The Pella doors come storm door ready, but for some reason 75% of new doors with side-lites arent.

Old 09-15-08, 12:36 PM
C
Whatever you do, don't buy a Larson door. I always heard how good they were, that is pure BS. I put in two of them, one on the North side and one on the East side, there top of the line doors.
The one on the North side lasted 5 years and then began to swell up and bust in 3 different locations.
The one on the East side lasted just short of 7 years, and swole up and busted through in two different locations.

On the North door I made a claim with Larson and they ran me through loops for 2 years, with the help of Lowe's I finally was able to get them to send me a replacement core at a charge of $40.00 for shipping. I wasn't able to install till the spring and when I transfered everything from the old door to the new core (and I do mean EVERYTHING) and tried to put the door in place, it was not plumb (the door itself) , totally worthless!

I threw the hole mess in the Frederick Maryland dump and replaced with Pella. As for the East door I just bit the bullet so to speak and threw the whole thing away also and replace it with a Pella.

Bottom line, Larson is the worst company I have ever dealt with in my life!!

Changeling

Old 09-17-08, 08:47 AM
T
Changeling . . .

Hi Changeling, I had several thoughts on your post.

First, the original message you replied to is from 3 years ago, so it's doubtful that the original poster will read the reply.

You mentioned you put in Larsen's "top of the line doors" and yet they eventually took on water and were swelling up. Maybe it's just me, but I've always considered that type of door as the low end of their product line. You may have made a faulty assumption. Their doors WITHOUT a wood core are a better door, in my opinion. I'm in agreement with you that aluminum storm doors with a wood core can and will swell over time - so I try to stay away from them. I'd much prefer an extruded aluminum storm door without the wood core. I wish I had a nickel for every wood core aluminum storm door I've seen go bad.

One last amusing bit of information. Larsen now makes Pella's storm doors. Pella sold their storm door division to Larsen a few years ago. You probably didn't know that.

Old 10-15-08, 04:58 AM
W
Help with install

I have the same problem. I have sidelights on both sides of my 36" entry door. There is only 35" between the wood pieces on the exterior of the entry door. How do I put a 36" storm door? Or can't I do this and have to use a smaller door?

Old 10-15-08, 06:33 AM
Group Moderator
Received 714 Votes on 661 Posts
I see this is your first post, so welcome to the forums!

Here's a couple threads where this question was discussed in detail. Maybe *too much* detail.

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=264930
http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=275772

Note that some of the picture links in those threads may be dead by now.

It's usually best to create your own thread by clicking "new post", rather than ask a new question in an old thread.