Sliding Glass Door & Window Replacement

Old 01-18-05, 10:28 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Smile Sliding Glass Door & Window Replacement

First of all, I have to take the time to say I Love you Guys!! This site is the most informative and helpful site I've ever come across!

I just bought a condo and the home inspector stated that the sliding glass doors/windows as well as the bedroom window would need to be replaced due to the visible condensation. As I am getting this condo at lower price than what's on the market currently, the seller will not be replacing these items. Therefore, the cost is on me, and being a first time homebuyer, money is tight.

First question, due to the condensation, do the entire sliding glass doors need to be replaced or would I be able to get away with using some type of sealant or caulk?

2) If I need to replace the entire sliding glass door (standard size), any thoughts on an approximate cost for a contractor to install and replace (as well as provide the glass) and any price variations here I should look out for?

3) If I made this into a Father-Daughter project (which is always a fun time until we want to kill each other. LOL ), would this be a relatively easy thing to accomplish at a cheaper cost? and how to go about it (any instructional links, etc)?

Part of me would like to do it the Father-Daughter project but I also plan on some other needed remodeling so to save ourselves this hassle, as long as the cost of installation isn't much higher, I'd lean towards that route.

Any help you guys can provide is greatly appreciated!
Old 01-19-05, 05:43 AM
pgtek's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: north Carolina
Posts: 1,348
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
When your talking about condensation, is it between the glass or on the inside glass surface. If between the glass depending on the thickness of the glass it might be in the $5 to $10 sq ft
If between the glass pane that mens the seal is broken.
You can take it to a glass shop and have a new on install
If condensation inside check the felt weatherstrip if need replacing.


Old 01-22-05, 04:14 PM
XSleeper's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 26,409
Received 1,744 Upvotes on 1,568 Posts

Dear friend,

The problem you have described is a fogged thermal pane. The thermal pane must be replaced, which is a very common repair nowadays. It is probably not something you can do yourself, as it is often difficult even for professional glaziers who do this sort of thing every day.

I would suggest that you measure the approximate sizes of the glass needing replacement, and call several "Glass Houses" in your Yellow Pages and request an estimate. (Harding Glass, Chicago Glass, etc). To be truthful, the glass is only 10% of the cost of the repair. The other 90% involves coming out to measure your glass, covers any possible breakage that occurs, and includes the installation of your new glass and the warantee that "should" come with your new IGU (insulating glass unit.)

You definately do NOT need to replace the entire door, or entire window. Don't let anyone talk you into this unless they can show you, for example, that the wood is rotten and needs to be replaced.

Best guess, you might be able to get your glass replaced for $400-500.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: