Storm doors over metal doors???

Old 01-26-05, 09:30 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Storm doors over metal doors???

I've heard yes, it's OK to do this, and no, the metal doors will get too hot. Any opinions or other guidance you guys can provide will be appreciated. By the way, the doors would be facing WSW, and the sunlight would be unobstructed.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-05, 10:42 AM
i
i have metal door with a full storm door install.
It's ok no problem
and you can leave the inside door open and have a screen in it

cheers

pg

Old 01-26-05, 12:09 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
The only time it's a problem is if the door has plastic decorative molding. The molding will get too hot and distort.

Old 01-26-05, 02:37 PM
Each door has a large decorative insert, and plastic moulding around the inserts. Is this what you're referring to?
Thanks.

Old 01-26-05, 03:26 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
You're not referring to the plastic molding around the glass? If it's molding that gives the door the look of panels it is plastic and glued to the door. That will distort and pull away.

Old 01-26-05, 03:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 133 Votes on 125 Posts
My only concern would be that the storm door have a vent (screen). Many companies offer full view storm doors with a small venting window at the bottom. As was mentioned, if the plastic trim is around the window only, there should be no problem. But some steel doors have decorative plastic trim that just snaps into plug holes... this is where the problem might occur, as the heat warps the plastic. Many people don't get that plastic painted right away either, assuming that since it's white it is maintenance free and will always be white (wrong!) and that's part of the problem with this trim coming off too... uv degredation... not just heat.

I've never had a problem with a storm door on a metal door. Problems usually come when there is NO storm door on them.

Old 01-27-05, 06:56 AM
The plastic trim is around the decorative windows only. The window are big-maybe 5' tall and 2' wide, and have that fancy looking fake gold vein throughout. I appreciate your help, as I have received no response at all from the manufacturer, the Stanley company.
Speaking of paint, when I paint the doors, should I also paint the trim to protect it from the UV rays?
Thanks, and hope it's warmer where you are than where I am.

Old 01-30-05, 12:39 PM
boofredlay
Visiting Guest
Hope this helps.

We installed storm doors over our steel doors about 5 years ago. We failed to vent them properly and now they are useless.
I have to replace them as they are cracked severly. In the evenings you can hear them cracking, it is kind of erie.

Anyway, I posted a thred asking where I might find some replacement mulls.

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=198917

Good luck.

Old 01-30-05, 12:56 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by pohocker
Speaking of paint, when I paint the doors, should I also paint the trim to protect it from the UV rays?
Yes, definately. Your doors should have come with a small sticker or instruction sheet that explained that the trim needs paint.

Old 01-30-05, 01:09 PM
Thanks.
They came with nothing (builders fault), thats why I tried to contact Stanley but got no response.

Old 01-30-05, 02:04 PM
Group Moderator
Perhaps you have had trouble getting service due to the purchase of Stanley's door division by Masonite. Perhaps you could identify your Stanley door at http://www.masonite.com/PRODUCT_GUID...ey_catalog.htm and call the Masonite help line at 1-800-663-DOOR?

Old 01-31-05, 08:14 AM
Thanks, X.