Retro-fit window

Old 03-01-05, 10:38 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 80
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Retro-fit window

This may be a dumb question, but can someone please explain to me what a "retro-fit" window replacement is versus new "construction"? Also, what is involved in the process of "glazing" a window with respect to fixing a cracked window? Thanks for any insight......
Old 03-01-05, 10:53 AM
XSleeper's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 27,004
Received 1,899 Upvotes on 1,705 Posts
A retrofit installation means that your existing window frame (sill and trim) all remains in place. The wood sashes are removed, and a replacement window is inserted into the opening.

A new construction replacement means that the new window will come with a nailing fin. To install this type of window, your entire old window frame and your existing trim must be removed.

"Glazing" is a generic term which refers to setting glass in place. Depending on how the glass is being set in place, it can mean different things. Older single pane windows usually were held in place with "glazing points" and "glazing putty". If the window is an IGU (insulating glass unit, or thermopane) then the glazing depends on the method used by the original window company. Some windows were glazed with a hard putty. Others are glazed with 2-faced tape. Some have a glazing boot which surrounds the IGU. Others are just glazed with clear silicone. Not sure what type of glazing you are wondering about.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: