Concerns over Front Entry Door

Old 03-03-05, 11:48 PM
jleemd99
Visiting Guest
Concerns over Front Entry Door

My mother recently had a front entry door installed in her home. She is worried that the contractor who installed it, didn't do the job correctly. Upon visual inspection, the door frame is noticably not level. She noted that the contractor put a piece of plywood underneath the area where the sidelight meets the door frame's hinge side. The contractor said that 'sometimes they have to do that'. We notice that the top of the door hits the frame when we try to close it, but that's probably due to the fact that the frame itself isn't level. Is this normal to put a piece of wood underneath the door to 'prop' it up? We are worried that there will be considerable damage to the door frame if we leave it like it is now.

We don't know much about doors, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
-Jack

Old 03-03-05, 11:49 PM
jleemd99
Visiting Guest
Sorry for double posting. I didn't realize my first post went through. If the Mods can delete this, that would be great.

My apologies
-Jack

Old 03-04-05, 05:52 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It is a little difficult for me to visualize exactly what has been done. I will guess that the installer put a shim under the threshold in an attempt to level it. In any case, the installation should not be "noticeably not level". The sides should be plumb and the gap between the door and the jamb should be consistent on both sides and top. The sweep should contact the threshold evenly. The door definitely should not "hit the frame" under any circumstances. Were it not for the top of the door hitting the frame, I would say that it is possible that it is an optical illusion that it is not level (or plumb). If the sidelight were off, it could appear that the door was off even if it was actually plumb. Sounds like you need to get the installer back. There is no excuse for him/her to leave with the door hitting the jamb.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: