how/ where to get replace ment windows?

Old 03-21-05, 03:56 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
how/ where to get replace ment windows?

I have done my research on this forum concerning replacement windows, and still have a few questions, if you can help.
I have decided to stay away from Home Depot and Lowes, and I know that different manufacturers sell in different parts of the country, so what is a decent quality window that I can purchase in New Jersey? I believe Vinylmax is available here, but I do't know what my other options are. Also-
Does a company like Vinylmax sell standard sized windows? say my measurements are 36"W X 42"L. I guess I should get a window that actually measures 35 1/2"W X 41 1/2"L. Would these sizes be readily available from a door and window place that sells Vinylmax? Or would I have to have everything custom made, which I'm sure will be more expensive?
Thanks for your advice!

Old 03-21-05, 05:54 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Vinyl windows are made to order. Getting an "odd" size really doesn't affect the cost. (The cost is based on United Inches.) They can be ordered in different configurations -- new construction, with nail fins; Z-bar (or whatever a particular mfgr calls it) with the exterior trim molded to the frame for retrofitting; block frame, which has no nail fin and no exterior trim; etc. You simply specify what you want when you order the window. Price difference is minimal if you compare like sized windows.

Manufacturers -- you have National brands (Simington, Alside, Certainteed, Marvin, Pella, etc., etc., etc.) These are available everywhere. There are regional brands (west coast examples would be EPI, Amerimax, and so forth) And you might find some local mfgr., who sells in a 100 or 200 mile radius from the plant. I've never heard of Vinylmax, so I'm guessing that they fall into one of the latter 2 categories.

Warranty, warranty, warranty, and how good is the company that is backing that warranty.

Old 03-21-05, 07:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 847 Votes on 776 Posts
Some companies that make vinyl windows do have "standard sizes". They will be slightly cheaper than their custom sizes, since they produce mass quantities of them (in addition to the custom sizes they produce). The only way you can find out is to ask each particular window dealer whether they offer standard size new construction vinyl windows.

Gorell Window and Door is based in Pennsylvania, and I know that they offer several standard sizes. Perhaps they have dealers in NJ as well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: