Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Replace windows all at once? Or a few at a time?

Old 04-04-05, 07:04 AM
janeydoey
Visiting Guest

I hope I am not repeating a thread that was already answered, apologies in advance if so, I searched and could not find...

I have to replace all windows in a house I am closing on in a few weeks, and am trying to do some legwork. The windows are old (60s), awning-style that don't close, lock, or the opening devices don't work. Besides, they are not exactly energy efficient and I also am freaked out about bugs being able to get in (I'm in NE FL).

It's a small home, not a huge amount of windows, but I am wondering if I could get some of the "really bad" windows replaced one or two at a time or if it is more economical to have all the windows replaced at once.

Is there any savings in replacing all at once? Or does it matter if I save my pennies and get one or two replaced every other month? Seems replacing all the windows at once would mean roughing up some heavy coin.

Old 04-04-05, 11:02 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If your house has aluminum or vinyl siding, then each window must be refitted with exterior trim to match the house. Generally you hire that kind of work out. If so, you will have to wait untill all the windows are done before you finish the outside trim. Even if you do 1 window a month, the siding will have to wait till they are all done.

If your house has painted wood exterior trim, then you can replace your windows on any budget schedule you like.

If your hiring someone to do the window installs, then of course, you will pay a premium in labor to do a few at a time. Contractors prefer larger whole house jobs.

Also, keep in mind, that you run the very small risk of the windows that you purchase, may change in style over the course of a year and you may not be able to buy the exact same window. Even so, they usually all resemble each other enought to keep most home owners happy.

Old 04-05-05, 06:06 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you're closing, now might be the time to roll in a loan for window improvement.
You may be able to tack on the cost of window replacement into the mortgage.

This sounds like you would be gettin someone else to do the windows. Do them all at once. Or wost case, 1/2 the windows if it's a pressing need and $$ is a little tight.

Congrats on the new home. Another side note, if windows are important, best to do it now before you spend the money on paint and new curtains and that cute wicker basket that you just HAVE to have in the bathroom... and other tiems that are just "dressing".

Old 04-08-05, 05:31 AM
janeydoey
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the responses!

I really appreciate your responses. I will bite the bullet and get the windows done all at once (gulp!). There's only about 8-10, the bathroom windows seem OK, but I'll get a couple of quotes from contractors.

The house does have aluminum siding but it is over concrete block, I would like to take off the aluminum siding at some point. If I get windows put in now, would I have to keep the siding? I guess this is a question for a contractor.

Thanks again!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: