Installing Skylight

Old 04-13-05, 05:48 PM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Installing Skylight

Cut a hole in the ceiling first, or in the roof?

Advantages or disadvantages to either way?

Old 04-13-05, 08:22 PM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Are you talking a tube lite or something like a curb mounted skylite?

When I did my 3 curb mounts, I started at the roof. I KNEW the size of the skylites, and I knew where the roof rafters were. Got the holes cut, the curbs and lites installed, and everything else on the roof done. Then I was weathertight. I could work on the shafts, regardless of how much rain fell.

Old 04-14-05, 03:24 PM
O
I mean curb-mounted:

The reason I asked is that I've got to have the ceiling opening fall in a fairly precise place. I think I'll just be careful with my measuring and do what you did, start at the roof.

Another question: I'll need to reuse some of the shingles from the cutout. Any tips on how to get up asphalt shingles so they are in decent shape?

Old 04-15-05, 04:52 AM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Your house has either trusses or site built joists and rafters, depending on its age and what your local allowed or required when it was built.

If it has trusses, your skylite will fall between the trusses -- your only chioces to make are how far up the roof it will be, and will the skylite be 24" wide (truss spacing) or will it be narrower.

If your house has joists and rafters, you MIGHT be able to locate the skylight in a spot that means you are cutting out a section of one of the joists and rafters. If that happens, you'll be spending quite a bit of time in the attic getting all the required blocking and bracing in place. (That's what I did with mine.)

Old 05-01-05, 07:17 AM
builderthebob
Visiting Guest
sky light

most manufactures say to start outside and work-in.

use a putty knife and slowly work it under the tar strip. better during cooler months. then use a flat prybar to lift the heads of the nails then remove the nails by the heads. this way you only have a few holes in the shingles not any tears.

good luck mine only took 2 hours outside then another 3 inside.

Old 05-02-05, 07:43 AM
B
drill

If you can't get a precise measurement on the outside, consider drilling a small hole from the inside out. this will give you an exact starting point

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: