Please help (replace a doublepane window)

Old 05-06-05, 08:13 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Please help (replace a doublepane window)

I have to replace a doublepane window in the bathroom due to a broken seal.
I tried to remove the sliding portion last night but could not get it out over
the window sill. Can I take out the stationary window (that's where the broken seal is) from the outside and forget about the sliding window? It looks like there are two screws holding the stationary window in, is that right? If I call the window man he wants $90.00 to take the window out. Can I remove the window myself? Thank you
Old 05-06-05, 11:46 AM
pgtek's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: north Carolina
Posts: 1,348
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
slide the window to the middle and lift from bottom
should come out with some elbow grease

good luck
Old 05-06-05, 12:24 PM
XSleeper's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 26,407
Received 1,744 Upvotes on 1,568 Posts
There is a removable glazing strip either on the inside of the window, or on the outside, depending on your window style and brand of window. If you look around the outside edge of the glass, You should clearly see a 5/8" wide strip- this is your glazing strip. It pushes into a kerf. By taking a very sharp chisel, and tapping toward the center of the glass, you should be able to get the glazing strip off by popping it out of its kerf. (If it's on the inside, you will likely have to take out the operating sash to do this. If it's on the outside, you don't have to take the operating sash out.)

Once the glazing strip is off, the glass might just come right out. Other times, it will be siliconed in place. Still other manufacturers use 2-faced tape to seal the glass into the frame. This is often the hardest part of getting the glass out. There are special tools made to cut the silicone/two-faced tape, but you might be able to make your own using one of two methods:

1). Buy a cheap pizza cutter and bend the handle so that it sits at a 30 degree angle to the round cutter. You can then use this tool to cut the glazing around the glass.

2). Buy a linoleum knife and using a torch and a vise, heat the knife sufficiently so that it will bend, and bend it with a pliers or vise at a 30 degree angle. (I suppose bending a dinner knife might also work.)

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: