New Entry Door Slab

Old 05-17-05, 02:56 PM
celestecelui
Visiting Guest
New Entry Door Slab

I want to replace my exterior front door. Just the slab. It is a weird size 32 1/8 x 78 3/16. Home Depots 32" doors are too tall. My neighbor has the experience of putting doors in, but he wants to trim it to fit. Is this wise? The type of door I want will be made of steel and will have decorative panels.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-05, 06:14 AM
IHI
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
People install door slabs all the time, but I've replaced numerious entry doors where they tried the slab approach and it was not agood long term solution. Main reason, especially depending on where you live, the existing jamb/weather seal is old, outdated, and never did a good job of sealing out the elements in the first place. So now you have a brand new door slab and a 50+ yr old weather seal....get where I'm going with this. Long term you will not be happy and great care must be taken to assure the door your going to install is the same thickness as the one your replacing-cant tell you number of doors I've seen installed that stuck out past the interior side door jamb.'

I personally will never sell/install a slab entry door for a customer of mine, I dont want the headache of it not sealing perfectly. It's your call, but from experience you'll be waay ahead of the game by installing a new pre-hung door unit. Choices are endless as far as door profile, door material, jamb material, glass designs/options etc...literally your imagination and pocket book will be the limiting factor. Spending a little money now is going to get you nowhere but spending even more money in the future. Only person that can do things twice are rich people since they can afford to.