Broken tilt latch?

Old 05-22-05, 01:53 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Question Broken tilt latch?

We've been in our first house a little less than a year and I recently discovered that 3 of my windows have broken tilt latches- the little plastic tabs you squeeze that release the top of the window from the tracks so you can tilt it in to clean it, etc. The little tabs snapped off, I guess due to age, but now I've got a problem because if I open the window even a crack, it comes crashing top-first into the room. I'd like to buy replacement tilt latches but I have no idea who made our windows. Does anyone know if manufacturers' names are printed in some standard place on the window? Or have any work-around ideas? Thanks for any help!
Old 05-22-05, 02:41 PM
XSleeper's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 26,394
Received 1,743 Upvotes on 1,567 Posts
There are a lot of different styles of tilt latches, so it's hard to say which one you might have. You might try to look for a manufacturer's sticker in the head of the window. Lower the upper sash and look in the top track of the window for this sticker. You might also examine the spacer bar between the panes of glass to see if there is a brand name imprinted. Otherwise, get ahold of a digital camera and take a couple pictures to post for someone to look at.
Old 05-26-05, 02:53 PM
johnam's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 1,865
Received 12 Upvotes on 11 Posts
Many tilt latches are generic. Take a sample to your local window or glass shop.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: