Rotted external window sill

Old 05-31-05, 12:11 PM
jimk1954
Visiting Guest
Rotted external window sill

I have an older house. The windows were replaced a while ago in the old casings (looks like just new sliding windows/metal frames screwed into the old casings, they never leak and work fine). I have one external window sill that is dry-rotted and needs to be repaired or replaced. It looks as though the outer edge only up to the wall line is affected. Should I cut this out and patch, lop off the whole front of the sill from side to side and replace (Too tight for a skill saw), or will I need to replace the entile sill, which I think means dismantling the window, maybe I could simply remove and replace the sill without disturbing the rest of the frame (I would need to pull out the window and metal frame). Any ideas on how to best approach this project?

Old 05-31-05, 02:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 936 Votes on 854 Posts
It would be best to dismantle and remove the window, cut out the entire sill with a reciprocating saw, then cut a new sill that will fit exactly. If you try to replace a piece of it, it will leak and rot along that seam.

Old 06-08-05, 10:34 PM
Boxarocks
Visiting Guest
I know this post is a bit old, but if you are like me, you are still looking for an alternative to replacing the entire sill.
Abatron makes wood restoration products that are designed to be used to repair rotten wood.
I have used the products with satisfaction. If you read the info at their website, it sounds too good to be true, however the stuff works as advertised.

Here is a blurb from their website:
Specified by the U.S. Government, national restoration centers, museums, architects and other professionals, LiquidWood and WoodEpox represent the greatest advance in wood restoration. They restore rotted, severely damaged windows, columns, frames, broken furniture, structural and decorative wood components,. They are the only hope for parts that cannot be replaced because of size, shape or other reasons. The objects restored with LiquidWood and WoodEpox are not merely museum pieces or delicate memorabilia, but fully functional parts often stronger and far more durable than the original.

lots more info here: Abatron

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: