Window into a Door

Old 07-17-05, 10:38 PM
angieh
Visiting Guest
Question Window into a Door

I need to know the easiest way to make a window into a door? My house was added onto before we bought it, I have to walk all the way around the house to get access to this room. Any ideas?

Old 07-18-05, 06:38 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Making a window into a door is easy, provided the window is wider than the door. Above your window, there is a header which distrubutes the weight above the window onto the framing left and right of the window. Provided your header is at least 82" from the floor, you should have no problem installing a door underneath.

Installing your door will include:

Removing the window, cutting out some old framing, framing in the rough opening for the door on the inside, cutting out the rough opening to the exterior, replacing exterior sheathing and siding as needed, repairing drywall and baseboard, trimming the new door inside and out.

You may also run into an electical line- most of the time, wiring runs through the walls about 24" from the floor. If you have any outlets around your window, you will probably have to re-route the wiring through the floor joists (under your new door).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: