Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Brick House ...Need new windows...Need suggestions PLEASE

Brick House ...Need new windows...Need suggestions PLEASE

Old 07-19-05, 08:04 PM
cdcsboy
Visiting Guest
Brick House ...Need new windows...(xSleeper please see)

I have an older brick home with cruddy metal framed windows... I need to replace them. I would like to do inexpensively as I will only be in this house a few more years. I would like to use vinyl windows but am unsure which ones to buy. I am looking at the sliding type...but they all have mounting fins. Can I cut these off and basically screw these into the sides of the frame and then silicone around the outside. What type of sealant should I use? The existing windows are aluminum single pane with a heavy glazing around the outside. Will my idea work with the vinyl sliding windows?

Last edited by cdcsboy; 08-06-05 at 04:16 PM.
Old 07-19-05, 08:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
I'd need some pictures of your current windows to make a determination. Pictures can be posted to a file sharing web site, then the link can be posted here.

Old 07-22-05, 06:32 AM
cdcsboy
Visiting Guest
See if these pics will help you out. Thanks for checking!

http://photobucket.com/albums/a1/cdc...t=DSC00949.jpg

Last edited by cdcsboy; 08-06-05 at 04:17 PM.
Old 08-06-05, 04:18 PM
cdcsboy
Visiting Guest
Thanks for any help / advice that you might give!

Old 08-06-05, 08:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
There are probably some guys out there that would order a custom sized vinyl replacement window that would be 1/4" smaller than your brick opening. If the vinyl window had nailing fins, they would cut them off... if not they's just stick the window into the opening, make sure it covered up the old caulking line, and then they'd caulk the bejesus out of it.

I'm not too impressed with that wouldn't do it myself. I have ordered windows that come with a prewelded brickmould trim, and done something similar, but I'm always sure to shim the window into the rough opening so that it's supported on all sides. you can't just stick a window in an opening, caulk it, trim it, and expect it to work well for years to come. Vinyl will sag, ESPECIALLY sliders. They need to have solid shims underneath or you'll have trouble down the road.

The one installation I can recall that was like this was clear last winter. I installed a wood "sill" and jamb that butted up to the brick from the inside. The brick ledger was then flashed with coil, and window stops were installed and wrapped. The resulting window size was a little smaller than what had been there, but I felt good about giving the window good support on all sides, being able to seal it up well, and retrim it. Sorry I don't have any specifics.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: