Cutting a fiberglass door

Old 07-25-05, 04:28 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cutting a fiberglass door

I just installed a new pre-hung fiberglass entry door, to go from my basement to the outside. I went with fiberglass due to the inclement weather we get year round. Before I bought the door I measured the old door and found it to be a 30", which, much to my dismay, meant I had to special order the door as, nobody carried that size for an entry door.

No problem, I went to Lowes and ordered a 30x80" door, but when I removed the old door I found that it was 79", not 80". I didn't want to rip out the walls and replace the header so I disassembled the top of the door frame and cut off an inch. It was a hassle but much less work than the alternative.

I didn't think cutting an inch off the top of the door would be a problem, as I thought it was wood around the perimiter, but I found out different and now I have exposed the foam core.

Does anybody know if this will be a problem for me sometime down the road?

Thanks...RC

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-05, 04:34 PM
Dig some foam out and bondo it??

Old 07-26-05, 06:29 PM
did you try to fit the door into the rough opening before cutting it? most 80" doors only measure 79-1/4" to 79-1/2". but aside from that, you probably will have problems with the exposed foam. chances are, if the door were decent quality, it would have had a wooden rail across the top, between the fiberglass skins. normally, that would have to be removed and then re-inserted after the skins were cut. thats why when you order fiberglass (or even steel) doors at lesser heights, they cost around $75-100 more than a standard 6'-8" door. as it stands, unless you find some way to protect that foam, it will more than likely start to rot within a few months. good luck to you.

Old 07-27-05, 01:27 AM
R
Yep, I tried to fit it...no go. Had I known I would have ordered it to fit, since I had to order it anyway, but now it's too late...the damage is done. I think I will go with Hellrazors suggestion on this one.

The door has wood on the sides, but when I cut off the top it appeared to be filled with bondo. I just didn't think about digging out the foam and filling with bondo. Now I just need to find some slooow setting bondo, with that much to fill.

I love the smell of bondo in the morning. lol

Thanks guys...RC

Old 07-27-05, 01:59 PM
More hardner you put in bondo the faster it hardens. So adjust your mixture.

Old 07-27-05, 03:16 PM
R
Right...thanks.